History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kiln Quay House

A Grade II Listed Building in Flushing, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.1631 / 50°9'47"N

Longitude: -5.0596 / 5°3'34"W

OS Eastings: 181581

OS Northings: 33707

OS Grid: SW815337

Mapcode National: GBR ZG.3S5K

Mapcode Global: FRA 089L.6QY

Entry Name: Kiln Quay House

Listing Date: 12 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1160799

English Heritage Legacy ID: 63571

Location: Mylor, Cornwall, TR11

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Mylor

Built-Up Area: Flushing

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Flushing

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Mylor Bridge

Listing Text

SW 83 SW MYLOR TREFUSIS ROAD, (east side),
Flushing
6/295 Kiln Quay House

GV II


Re-erected Wealden house. Circa C15-C16, resited and rebuilt circa 1919 by Joan
Beech. Oak framed with lath and plaster panels. Hipped red Sussex tile roof with
brick chimneys with linked paired diagonally set shafts with cornices over external
dressed stone brought to course breasts at each end wall and axial cruciform on plan
brick stack with cornice to right of central hall.
Wealden house plan of hall, inner room with solar and former service end with chamber
above, but with through passage incorporated into room on right (east) of hall.
First floor jettied at either end. Stair behind right-hand side of hall and within
2-storey service wing linked to single storey wing at right angles to right; all
timber framed, incorporating ships timbers and possibly timber from and extension to
the original house.
2 storeys. All windows of main part of house are C16 with hollow-chamfered and
bowtell moulded frames and mullions. C20 leaded casements. Carved grown teazle post
to each corner with moulded bases and capitals, supporting dragon beams of jetties at
each corner and with moulded fascia concealing joist ends. Regular south front as
rebuilt in circa 1919 except for French windows inserted to middle of hall window,
leaving 1 light with transom at either side, and with removed section of 3-lights
resited in back wall of hall. 3-light window with transom to left-hand room under
jetty and canted 3-light oriel with sidelights to right-hand room with 4-centred
arched moulded doorframe adjoining to left, and all under jetty. (This is an unusual
position for an oriel and doorway, but almost identical to Pattyndenne Manor, Kent
and in fact the whole building is very similar). 3-light window to each first floor
bay with those over hall under projecting eaves continuing from jetties and supported
on replacement curved braces (The original ones were slightly smaller as mortices
indicate).
Interior Hall has large hearth, incorporated some circa C16 bricks, with moulded and
stopped cambered, probably C16, lintel carried on 2 moulded corbels with each one
different; fine ceiling with complex moulding and stops to cross beam supporting
joists with similar moulding, plus central bead, to windows. At either end of the
beam is carved, within a shield, the initials A.J.B. and the date 1919 at one end and
1922 at the other. The room to left of hall has unmoulded axial beam, dragon beams
jointed into it and wide joists. Between hall and right-hand room at rear there is a
vestibule with 4 moulded Tudor arched oak open doorways, clearly never fitted with
doors. (Compare the Old Pound House, Datchworth, Hertfordshire). Stair has 2,
probably C17, turned newel posts. Roof structure unfortunately destroyed in a fire
circa 1980.
Said to have been moved from Sussex by Joan Beech who met a sea captain and wanted to
live at Flushing.
Despite removal and the unfortunate fire damage since, this is a fine Wealden house
with much original timber and many original features, obviously reconstructed with
great attention to detail and with as little replacement of timber as possible.


Listing NGR: SW8158133707

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.