This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1668 / 50°10'0"N
Longitude: -5.0603 / 5°3'37"W
OS Eastings: 181544
OS Northings: 34127
OS Grid: SW815341
Mapcode National: GBR ZD.SRXN
Mapcode Global: FRA 089L.0DJ
Entry Name: Trefusis House Including Kegynow Corth
Listing Date: 12 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141662
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63474
Location: Mylor, Cornwall, TR11
Civil Parish: Mylor
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Flushing
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 83 SW MYLOR
6/195 Trefusis House including Kegynow
Country house. Rebuilt in 1891 to a design by Hicks. Random granite rubble walls
with dressed granite plinth, sills, jambstones, archstones, lintels and copings and
incorporating a few dressed granite features of the demolished C17 and earlier house.
Half-hipped main Delabole slate roof with corbelled stone chimney to left-hand side
walls and axial and irregularly disposed brick chimneys.
Double depth irregular plan with several reception rooms and single-storey service
wing at right-hand (north) end, and single-storey wing, now separate flat, at right
angles to rear right. Baronial Gothic style.
2 storeys plus large attic. Irregular 1:2:2 bay east entrance front. Large
symmetrical 3 storey entrance projection with crow-stepped gable coping of granite
ashlar corbelled out over moulded cornice. Central depressed 2-centred arched
doorway with splayed jambs and hoodmould, flanked by 2 small single-light trefoil-
headed windows. Trefusis coat of arms over doorway. First floor sill band to pair
of 3-light mullions with apexed lintels and similar but wider and more squat 4-light
mullion to gable relieving arches over windows. In angle with left-hand bay is
corbelled oriel turret, to first and second floors, surmounted by steep conical roof,
with weathervane, over complex eaves cornice. Adjoining bay to left with ashlar
parapet has small first floor 2-light window with splayed jambs. To right of
entrance is 3-light transomed mullion with apexed lintel and to far right a squat
wide stepped 3-light mullion. Sill band to first floor and 3-light mullion, left,
and 2-light mullion right. Hipped roof dormers of same width over.
Slightly irregular 2-window south front with raised central hipped roof with battered
sides flanked by slatehanging behind and above parapets. Central feature of chimney
on stepped moulded corbels at first floor. Ground floor left-hand window is 4-light
transomed mullion with squat ogee arched lights and apex lintel with relieving arch.
Canted oriel bay with parapet on right with similar lights. First floor sill band
and 2 identical 3-light mullions with apex lintels and relieving arches. 2-light
mullions above on either side of chimney breast. All windows with their original
casements. Arched doorway to north wall of west wing, now Kegynow Corth, is reused
from old house.
Interior not inspected, but principal rooms may reflect style of the exterior.
It is recorded that in 1382 James Trefusis was responsible "for searching persons
departing the realm of Penryn and trafficking in gold and silver and jewels, letter
of exchange and Papal bulls".
Trefusis was an important house in the C16, and circa late C17/early C18, Francis and
son Samuel Trefusis, had quays built enable Flushing to develop as a port. Each of
these eminent members of the Trefusis family was elected to become MP of Penryn.
Historical information from quotations by the C17-C18 writer Tonkin and others in THE
STORY OF FLUSHING CORNWALL by Ursula Redwood (Lady Redwood).
Listing NGR: SW8154434127
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings