This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1308 / 50°7'51"N
Longitude: -5.4027 / 5°24'9"W
OS Eastings: 156913
OS Northings: 31185
OS Grid: SW569311
Mapcode National: GBR FX1B.G20
Mapcode Global: VH12V.9ZN2
Entry Name: Retallack Farmhouse and Adjoining Outbuildings
Listing Date: 9 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1160879
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70033
Location: St. Hilary, Cornwall, TR20
Civil Parish: St. Hilary
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Hilary
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 53 SE
2/129 Retallack Farmhouse and adjoining
Farmhouse and adjoining cart shed and shippons with storage lofts over. C18 house
extended circa late C18 and early C19 left and rear and deep rear range added in 1907
(datestone). Rubble with granite dressings, part slurried, stucco over cob to first
floor cob of house front. Grouted scantle slate roof mostly with gable ends. Stone
stack over left hand gable of house, brick chimneys over right hand gable and gable
of rear wing.
Plan:. originally probably a 2 room plan farmhouse with cross passage between the 2
rooms. Circa late C18 a 2 room house added on the left, later converted to farm
building and single storey cartshed added, far left. In circa early or mid C19, a 1
room plan kitchen wing added at right angles behind the left hand room and outshut
added behind the right room of farm buildings added adjoining parallel to and on the
left hand side of the kitchen wing but much deeper and the rear part cranked slightly
to the right.
Exterior : 2 storeys. Slightly asymmetrical 2 window west front with central
doorway; symmetrical 2 window front of probably former house, now shippon stepped
down on the left and single storey cartshed with hipped end at far left. The
original house (right) has 3-panel door with arched top panels and 12-pane horned
sashes. The shippon has blocked doorway and old shuttered windows, the ground floor
windows partly ventilated with louvres.
Interior of house has C18 beams to the left hand room, otherwise C19 carpentry and
joinery and all very unaltered since. Roof structure not inspected.
Listing NGR: SW5691331185
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings