This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.684 / 50°41'2"N
Longitude: -4.5355 / 4°32'7"W
OS Eastings: 220981
OS Northings: 90215
OS Grid: SX209902
Mapcode National: GBR NB.6BTJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 17D8.DVZ
Entry Name: Warbstow Manor
Listing Date: 11 January 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1161386
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68127
Location: Warbstow, Cornwall, PL15
Civil Parish: Warbstow
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Jacobstow
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 29 SW
3/240 Warbstow Manor
House. Probably C17 origins partly rebuilt in circa 1900 and altered in the circa
1960s. Stone rubble, rendered and painted. Slate roof with gable ends. Brick
shafts to the axial and end stacks.
Plan: Original plan uncertain. The house has a 2-room and passage plan: the 2-
storey porch on the right-hand end of the front originally led into a through
passage, the rear door now blocked. The hall to left of the passage is heated by an
axial stack backing onto the passage. The inner room beyond to left is heated by an
end stack and a C20 stair has been inserted between these 2 rooms. On the lower
right side of the passage was a shippon which was demolished in the circa 1960s.
This may have been the earlier lower end of the house or a later building on the site
of the lower end. The provisional listing description issued in 1960 describes a
stair turret to rear. The owner at time of survey (1987) cannot recall such a stair
but states that there was a dairy in an outshut to the rear of the hall, which has
now been demolished.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-window front to the left hand range which was
refronted in circa 1900 and 2-storey porch to right which remains unaltered. The
porch has a gable end with segmental hollow chamfered granite arch with pyramid stops
on both faces of the jambs. There is no rebate for a door and the existing door is
probably C19. The inner door is C20 and has a circa C19 or C20 frame: 2-light
granite mullion window on first floor of the porch with circa mid C20 leaded panes.
To left the refronted range has a central door with rounded arch flanked by two C20
6-pane sashes with 3 similar sashes above.
Interior: Through passage, blocked to rear. V and F Chesher state that there was an
early shouldered arch to the rear door similar to that in Trethin, Advent parish
(qv). The rear doorway has been blocked. The owners recall a narrow stair which was
on the right hand (lower) side of the passage. Hall has a large fireplace with
granite chamfered lintel and jambs with remains of ball stops and a cloam oven. The
ceilings have been plastered and the extent of the circa 1900 alterations is
uncertain: It is possible that the C20 grate to the end fireplace in the inner room
covers the earlier fireplace. The date and character of the floor joists are
Roof structure not inspected.
Chesher, V and F The Cornishmans House
Listing NGR: SX2098190215
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings