This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1125 / 50°6'44"N
Longitude: -5.0999 / 5°5'59"W
OS Eastings: 178464
OS Northings: 28203
OS Grid: SW784282
Mapcode National: GBR ZC.L1HL
Mapcode Global: FRA 086Q.8ZG
Entry Name: Nansidwell
Listing Date: 17 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1161469
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66160
Location: Mawnan, Cornwall, TR11
Civil Parish: Mawnan
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Mawnan
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 72 NE MAWNAN
Countryhouse. Circa 1905. Built for Sir Sidney Bowlatt and designed by Leonard
Stokes. Killas rubble with granite dressings, steep dry Delabole slate gabled roofs.
Large stone axial stacks over the cross wall. Projecting eaves with exposed rafter
Plan: Overall U-shaped plan with 4 large rooms along a garden front range under one
roof; a large heated hall in a wing at right angles behind the left-hand side with
another room beyond; entrance porch in the angle left of this wing; a similar depth
but lower service wing behind the right-hand side; 2 small cross wings (aligned with
canted bays at the front) between the front rooms of rear wings with large stair
hall, and a flat-roofed single storey service range behind the stair hall also linked
to the front of the rear wings.
Exterior: 2-storeys. Regular 1:1:1:2-bay south east garden front with no doorways;
plinth; mullioned windows with flat mullions and leaded lights and transoms to the
ground floor windows; left-hand bay has 6~light window; second and third bays have on
ground and first floors canted 2:3:7 light bay windows with tented leaded roofs and
gables over; and right-hand bays have 2-light windows. South west 1:1:1-bay
entrance front has gable end of garden front range, on the right with 4-light windows
to ground loor and 3-light window above and set back on the left is the 1:1-bay side
wall of the principal wing with 2-light windows to the hall bay. Towards the right
in the angle between the 2 ranges is an entrance porch with round-headed doorway.
Original door and windows. Overlooking the rear courtyard the windows are wooden
casements with thick glazing bars.
Interior: Where inspected is virtually complete and unaltered with features in
approximately the style of circa the early C18 including: open-well open-string stair
with turned balusters; moulded ceiling cornices (both wooden and plaster); panelled
doors and architraves; eared chimney-pieces with pulvinated friezes, and many
individual touches eg. a built in settle in the stair hall and the hall chimney-
piece is set back within a large ingle-nook with seats at either side. Oak floors.
Listing NGR: SW7846428203
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings