History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Trebah, Game Larder Immediately West of Trebah (House)

A Grade II Listed Building in Mawnan, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.1058 / 50°6'20"N

Longitude: -5.1227 / 5°7'21"W

OS Eastings: 176804

OS Northings: 27530

OS Grid: SW768275

Mapcode National: GBR ZB.8FHR

Mapcode Global: FRA 085Q.S4C

Entry Name: Trebah, Game Larder Immediately West of Trebah (House)

Listing Date: 17 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1161653

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66178

Location: Mawnan, Cornwall, TR11

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Mawnan

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Constantine

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


9/49 Trebah, game larder immediately
- west of Trebah (house)


Game larder. Circa mid to late C19. Red brick with timber louvred sides and a
pyramidal hipped slate roof with lead rolls to the hips.
Plan: A small square-plan building with a doorway on the south side.
Exterior: Single storey. Square corner piers of red brick supporting the pyramidal
slate roof. Between the corner the sides are louvred and have slate cills and slate
panels below. On the north and south the sides are recessed back from the corner
piers, the south side having a central louvred door. The pyramidal roof has a small
square louvred lantern with a hipped slate roof topped by a little conical zinc
Interior: The floor has slate flags but there are no shelves. The roof structure is
complete with chamfered rafters, collars and tie-beams presumably from which the game
was hung.
The game larder is situated in the garden to the east of Trehah House which was the
seat of Charles Fox, a Quaker, who built the house in the early C19 and planted a
fine shrub garden from circa 1830 to 1868 in the steep valley in front which leads
down to the shore of the Helford River estuary.
Formerly situated in Constantine parish before the parish boundary was changed.
Source: Charles Henderson, A History of the Parish of Constantine in Cornwall,
page 208.

Listing NGR: SW7680427530

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.