This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1039 / 50°6'14"N
Longitude: -5.1156 / 5°6'56"W
OS Eastings: 177306
OS Northings: 27295
OS Grid: SW773272
Mapcode National: GBR ZB.8HF4
Mapcode Global: FRA 085R.2VF
Entry Name: Old School House and Quay Walls Including Quay/Yard Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1161679
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66185
Location: Mawnan, Cornwall, TR11
Civil Parish: Mawnan
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Mawnan
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 72 NE MAWNAN DURGAN
9/202 Old School House and quay walls
- including quay/yard walls
Former school, now converted to house. Datestone 1876. Base of quay walls probably
C18. Roughly coursed faced Killas with granite dressings. Quay walls are vertically
set Killas rubble with horizontally-coursed Killas rubble over. Dry Delabole slate
roof with fish scale courses and fish scale slates to projecting verges. External
stone lateral stack over rear wall.
Plan: Rectangular schoolroom with projecting gabled bay at front left, gabled porch
at rear right and earth closet with lean-to-store at rear adjoining at the right-hand
side towards the rear. Tudor Gothic style.
Exterior: l:l-bay south-east front with projecting gable-ended bay with chamfered 3-
light mullioned window on the left and 2-light mullioned window on the right. Gable
ends left and right each have central 4-light mullioned windows. Rear wall has
similar 3-light and 2-light windows. Porch has 2-light window in its rear wall and
chamfered doorway in its side wall.
Interior: Not inspected.
The school is built on a quay which is the school playground. The square-on-plan
peninsular quay has walls on 3 sides. The walls have square-edged granite copings.
This school replaced an older school at Glendurgan, Durgan, built for Alfred Fox and
his wife Sara.
Listing NGR: SW7730627295
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings