This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3509 / 50°21'3"N
Longitude: -4.2096 / 4°12'34"W
OS Eastings: 242898
OS Northings: 52440
OS Grid: SX428524
Mapcode National: GBR NS.WBJX
Mapcode Global: FRA 2823.MTK
Entry Name: The Mill
Listing Date: 21 July 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1161778
English Heritage Legacy ID: 61926
Location: Millbrook, Cornwall, PL10
Civil Parish: Millbrook
Built-Up Area: Millbrook
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Millbrook
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 45 SW MILLBROOK MILLBROOK
6/272 The Mill
Tide mill. Dated 1598, rebuilt in 1801 with some later alterations. Sandstone
rubble with granite and sandstone quoins; corrugated iron roof. The east front has
the sluice arches, the mill pond was formerly to the rear, now infilled. In the
early C19 an addition at the same height was made to the right end, with straight
joint between. 2 storeys, with water channels below and loft over. Front has 2
sluice arches with round heads, one to left blocked, further opening to right with
flat granite lintel. At ground floor level (over water) a door with timber lintel,
and C20 window to right; 3 C20 windows under eaves. C19 addition to right with C20
window at first floor. Right gable end has cart entry with timber lintel, 6-pane
light above; datestone with cable moulding. Left gable end has granite quoins,
asbestos slate-hung at ground floor level and above, with C20 window at ground floor
and loft level. Rear has 3 C20 windows at ground floor, the central one with
cambered and chamfered timber lintel internally, 2 similar windows under eaves.
Interior The roof is of the 1801 rebuilding, with halved and crossed principal
rafters pegged, with 2 rows of purlins and upper collars. At ground floor, 7 heavy
chamfered cross beams survive, 8 morticed and chamfered cross beams at first floor.
The mill had 2 wheels, each driving 2 pairs of stones. The sack hoist pulley at
ground floor is the only remnant of the milling machinery. The mill is in a
prominent position on Millbrook Lake. (Sources: Minchinton, W. and Perkins,
J.: Tidemills of Devon and Cornwall)
Listing NGR: SX4289852440
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings