History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Scorrier House

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Day, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2502 / 50°15'0"N

Longitude: -5.1923 / 5°11'32"W

OS Eastings: 172515

OS Northings: 43786

OS Grid: SW725437

Mapcode National: GBR Z6.076C

Mapcode Global: FRA 080C.GZG

Entry Name: Scorrier House

Listing Date: 12 September 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162430

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66920

Location: St. Day, Cornwall, TR16

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: St. Day

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Day

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Scorrier

Listing Text

ST DAY SCORRIER
SW 74 SW
6/354 Scorrier House
GV
II
Large house. Mostly c.1910, replacing the larger C18 house of the Williams
family, but with part of the service wing surviving. Granite ashlar, slate roofs.
H-plan facing east, with entrance in north side, plus L-plan rear wing. Classical
style. Two storeys and 1:3:1 bays; plinth, 1st floor band, cornice and blocking
course, raised quoins. The symmetrical east facade has a set-back 3-bay centre
containing windows with plain reveals and flat-arched heads with raised
keystones; the wings have canted bay windows at ground floor and tripartite
windows above with cornices on consoles; all the windows sashed without glazing
bars. Low hipped roof concealed. The 4-bay entrance front on the north side has
a large square single-storey porte-cochere in the 3rd bay, which has rusticated
corner pilasters, a moulded cornice and blocking course, and wide round-headed
arches in all sides, with imposts, moulded heads and keystones, a pyramidal
glazed roof, and a round-headed inner doorway with side windows. At 1st floor
above this is a tripartite window like those in the of the wings; the other
windows match those at the front. The south front (left return of left wing) is
only 3 bays, in similar style, but with a long rectangular conservatory attached.
Continued to the rear of this wing is a lower range in different masonry, with
segmental-headed 12-pane sashes with keystones; attached at right angles to this
is the surviving C18 service wing, which is of brick, with segmental-headed
sashed windows; and at the end of this, a 3-storey elemment of killas rubble and
ashlar which has a one-bay south front which has tripartite sashed windows with
keystones. Interior: the ground floor of the 3-bay centre is a very large hall
with imperial staircase; the former kitchen in the rear wing has a very large
fireplace.


Listing NGR: SW7251543786

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.