History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Two Cornish Crosses at South End of Garden and Approximately 175 Metres South of Scorrier House

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Day, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2483 / 50°14'53"N

Longitude: -5.1918 / 5°11'30"W

OS Eastings: 172541

OS Northings: 43578

OS Grid: SW725435

Mapcode National: GBR Z6.0FBB

Mapcode Global: FRA 080C.P4Z

Plus Code: 9C2P6RX5+87

Entry Name: Two Cornish Crosses at South End of Garden and Approximately 175 Metres South of Scorrier House

Listing Date: 1 December 1949

Last Amended: 12 September 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1309605

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66922

Location: St. Day, Cornwall, TR16

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: St. Day

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Day

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Scorrier

Description

ST DAY SCORRIER
SW 74 SW
6/356 Two Cornish crosses at south
end of garden and approx. 175
Dec 1949 metres south of Scorrier House
(formerly listed as "2 stone
crosses Scorrier House")
GV
II*
Two Cornish crosses. Medieval. Granite, both wheelhead type, with integral
shafts. No.l: the smaller of the two (identified by Dexter and Dexter as Scorrier
No.1), mounted in a modern rectangular base, is rectangular in section and
approx. 1 1/2 metres high, with chamfered corners to the shaft, and a sunk oval
panel in each face, with a raised figure of Christ on the south face and a raised
Latin cross on the north face. No.2: the larger of the two (identified by Langdon
as Scorrier No.2), is set on a mound approx. 5 metres to the north-east of the
first, and is rectangular in section and approx. 3 metres high, with a small head
which has sunk panels with a cross in each side. Thick shrubbery round the shaft
prevented closer inspection, but the drawings by Langdon show complicated zig-
zag and saw-tooth decoration on all sides of the shaft, and a ring round each
cross. According to Langdon, this formerly stood in the parish of St Wendron, at
the junction of the road to Stythian with the Helston-Penryn road, but was
bought by the Williams family in 1849, and brought here. References:
A.G.Langdon Old Cornish Crosses (1898); T.F.G.Dexter and Henry Dexter Cornish
Crosses Christian and Pagan (1938).


Listing NGR: SW7254143578

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.