This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8955 / 50°53'43"N
Longitude: -4.0525 / 4°3'9"W
OS Eastings: 255750
OS Northings: 112675
OS Grid: SS557126
Mapcode National: GBR KR.RTD8
Mapcode Global: FRA 26DQ.WJ6
Entry Name: Halsdon House
Listing Date: 10 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1162592
English Heritage Legacy ID: 90837
Location: Dolton, Torridge, Devon, EX19
Civil Parish: Dolton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Dolton St Edmund
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 51 SE
5/46 Halsdon House
House, former manor house. Late C17 with early C18 and C19 additions but possibly a
remodelling of an earlier house. Walls mainly rendered, probably rubble, apart from
front are constructed small dressed stone blocks. Hipped slate roof to main block,
gable-ended to right-hand wing. 2 rendered axial stacks to main range, one at
gable-end of right-hand wing has projecting rendered rubble base with rendered
shaft. 2 rendered lateral stacks at rear, one with large rubble base.
Plan: according to Burke who was writing in 1853 "a very ancient mansion about 200
years ago it was rebuilt in a plain style by Philip Furse Esq", the Furses having
held the estate since 1680. This suggests a late C17 date which is corrobated by
the outward appearance of the main range and the panelling in one of its rooms.
However, a 2-room wing set back and extending from its right-hand end contains
sections of earlier C17 panelling and it is not clear if this represents some
survival of the earlier house or was simple re-used when this range was built. The
main part of the house consists of 2 equal sized rooms heated by fireplaces at the
rear, separated by a central hall which extends at the rear into a small wing for
the staircase. Either side of the stairs is a further rear wing probably for
service purposes. Built out and extending along the rear of these wings is a narrow
corridor. 1 storey probably C19 conservatory extension at left-hand end. Various
C19 service additions have been made at the rear of both the principal ranges
including a kitchen. The front is probably also an early C19 addition or
modification of the original.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-bay front with large 2 storey canted bay window
to either side and central pediment. Stone parapet either side of pediment,
apparently interrupted by it as it breaks forward slightly with a modillion cornice
to either side of it. The bay windows have large early C19 marginal glazed sashes.
Balustraded flat-roofed porch with arches at front and sides and corner pilasters.
Early C19 marginal glazed sash window on lst floor above porch. Contemporary double
8-panelled doors partly glazed. Set back from right-hand end and symmetrical 3-
window wing extends to the right which has later C19 9-pane sashes on the 1st floor
and early C19 tripartite 20-pane sashes below. Central 6-panel door with stone
pediment above and doorhood supported on brackets. Modillion cornice below eaves.
C19 conservatory addition at left-hand end with single storey service range behind
it and another range behind and parallel to right-hand wing has a timber belfry.
The original or early C19 arched sash stair window survives to the central hipped
wing behind the main range. Small rear courtyard formed by later additions.
Interior: the entrance hall has an arch at the rear to either side of the stairs.
The right-hand room of the main range contains late C17 bolection moulded panelling
and an C18 chimneypiece with central decorative panel to frieze. The left-hand room
has an ornate C18 chimneypiece with trailing flower motif to central panel and egg
and dart surround. The end room of the right-hand wing has some sections of C17
panelling and an ornately carved eaved wooden chimneypiece which formerly had a
carved wooden overmantle but now only retains a carved figure to either side above
it. The architrave to the door is similarly carved. On the first floor various
simple C18 chimneypieces survive. The staircase is probably early C18 and has a
closed string with stick balusters and column newels. The roof structure where
visible appears to be of C18 or early C19 construction.
Late C17 houses of this quality are fairly unusual in Devon and although this one
exhibits considerable evidence of C18 and early C19 remodellings these do not
detract from its interest.
William Cay, the poet and writer, (1832-90) lived here for a time.
Source: J B Burke: Visitation of Seats and Arms Vol.1 (1853)
Listing NGR: SS5575012675
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings