History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Front Range to Former Bickford Smith's Fuseworks

A Grade II Listed Building in Camborne, Cornwall

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2233 / 50°13'23"N

Longitude: -5.2815 / 5°16'53"W

OS Eastings: 166031

OS Northings: 41076

OS Grid: SW660410

Mapcode National: GBR Z0.S1Q6

Mapcode Global: VH12J.DNR5

Entry Name: Front Range to Former Bickford Smith's Fuseworks

Listing Date: 20 October 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162642

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66947

Location: Camborne, Cornwall, TR14

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Camborne

Built-Up Area: Camborne

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Camborne and Tuckinghill

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Tuckingmill

Listing Text

The following building shall be added to the list:-

CAMBORNE PENDARVES STREET
SW 64 SE
5/10000 Front range to former Bickford
Smith's Fuseworks
GV II

Range of offices to former fuseworks. Partly mid C19, but
rebuilt and refronted in 1910 when the site, occupied by a
foundry, was acquired by Bickford Smith's fuseworks. Coursed and
dressed granite with dry slate roof and brick stacks.
Rectangular plan with off-centre through-entry. One-storey, 4-
bay range to right of 2-storey, 3-bay range. Left-hand range has
full-height canted bays with mullioned windows flanking central
bay which has slightly-projecting entrance bay with rusticated
pilasters, Dutch gable and 2-light segmental-arched stone-
mullioned window with moulded imposts set above keyed segmental-
arched doorway with moulded imposts. Similar windows to
pedimented left-hand return. One-storey range to right has
rusticated facade. Central gabled entrance bay has keyed semi-
circular arch; rusticated outer arches surmounted by oculi flank
large square-headed window openings. Projecting canted bay to
office at rear. William Bickford devised the safety fuse early
in the 19th century. Manufacture was commenced at Tuckingmill
in 1831 and the present site was acquired in 1910. An invention
of great significance to the industry.


Listing NGR: SW6603141076

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.