This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5844 / 52°35'3"N
Longitude: -0.3116 / 0°18'41"W
OS Eastings: 514486
OS Northings: 299849
OS Grid: TL144998
Mapcode National: GBR GY3.S2B
Mapcode Global: WHHNJ.59VK
Entry Name: Milton Hall
Listing Date: 15 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1162643
English Heritage Legacy ID: 49936
Location: Castor, Peterborough, PE6
County: City of Peterborough
Civil Parish: Castor
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Castor with Upton and Stibbington and Water Newton
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
5141 CASTOR MILTON PARK
TL 1499 47/143 15.12.55
From 1594 with attic of 1773 by Sir William Chambers and south front of 1745-50
by Flitcroft. Interiors by Flitcroft and Chambers.
Built by William Fitzwilliam, Lord Deputy of Ireland. Built of ashlar with
stone roofs. The north front dates from circa 1600, with battlements, a long
range with 8 projecting bays with one window between each. The bays are canted,
2 staired, 2 are treated as one story bays and have arched lights, and possibly
earlier than late C16. The 2 storeyed porch has round arch and flanking Tuscan
columns with Ionic column above.
Attic has mansard roof by Sir William Chambers 1773 and has 4 tripartite lunettes
with pedimented dormers.
The south front 1745-50 is by Flitcroft, Palladian, 2 and a half storeys, 9
bays, end bays project and have canted bay windows, the pedimented centre breaks
forward with round arched doorway with flanking lights, Venetian first floor
window and tripartite lunette in the half storey. Three bay west front has
canted bay. East of south front a wing with bow window of circa 1800 by Carr.
Interior: nothing of the circa 1600 interior remains. Mostly circa 1750, 1770
and 1800 periods. Entrance hall circa 1750 with coved stuccoed ceiling and
chimney piece with open pediment. Dining room has rococo ceiling. Pillared
hall has screen of Tuscan columns. Staircase has wrought-iron balustrade, stuccoed
ceiling and lantern. Former library by Carr, with Adam style decoration. Long
gallery decorated by Chambers with segmental vault and central dome. Peterborough
dining room by Chambers. Boudoir has Chinese wallpaper dated 1749.
The garden was remodelled by Repton in 1791. A village is said to have existed
once at Milton. VCH Northants vol II.
Listing NGR: TL1448699849
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings