This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2064 / 52°12'23"N
Longitude: -0.0926 / 0°5'33"W
OS Eastings: 530434
OS Northings: 258181
OS Grid: TL304581
Mapcode National: GBR K5P.MDD
Mapcode Global: VHGMJ.BSWX
Entry Name: Baptist Chapel
Listing Date: 31 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1162804
English Heritage Legacy ID: 51095
Location: Caxton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB23
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Caxton
Built-Up Area: Caxton
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Caxton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 3058-3158 CAXTON ERMINE STREET
12/67 Baptist Chapel
Chapel. 1845, Sunday School and vestry added to east 1874. Yellow gault
brick with slate roof; end stack to east gable. Single storeyed with two
galleries, and two storeyed rear extension. Gable to street with symmetrical
facade. Pilastered quoins, plastered brick bands at eaves and sill height.
Plain moulded stone architraves to doorway with rectangular fanlight and
double panelled doors, and to two gallery windows with twelve-paned hung
sashes. Interior: One open, and partly closed galleries to east and west.
Pine boarded ceiling; pine seating. Wall memorial of white and black marble
with painted black inscription to the founder Samuel Fordham (1794-1876).
The first meetings were held in the barns of Red Lion Farm.
R.C.H.M. West Cambs., p37, mon.2
V.C.H., Vol. V, p35
Chapel minute books. C.R.O.
Listing NGR: TL3043458181
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings