This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9999 / 50°59'59"N
Longitude: -3.7709 / 3°46'15"W
OS Eastings: 275833
OS Northings: 123773
OS Grid: SS758237
Mapcode National: GBR L4.K6HY
Mapcode Global: FRA 26ZG.QQP
Entry Name: Victoria House
Listing Date: 18 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1162883
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97576
Location: Bishop's Nympton, North Devon, Devon, EX36
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Bishop's Nympton
Built-Up Area: Bishop's Nympton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bishop's Nympton St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 72 SE BISHOP'S NYMPTON
6/46 Victoria House
House and adjoining workshop. House a circa mid/late C19 remodelling of an earlier
structure (called Church House in the deeds, information from owner), workshop
mid/late C19. Stone rubble with slate roofs, the house roof half-hipped at the right
end, 2 rear lateral stacks to the house, one with a stone shaft, one with a hand-made
Plan: Facing into the north-east corner of the churchyard and end on to the village
street. The house is a single-depth plan, 2 rooms wide with a central entrance and
straight run stair facing the front door. The position and materials of the 2 rear
lateral stacks, now enclosed by a rear lean-to are the only obvious pre C19 features
of the present building apart from a datestone of 1730 on the front elevation with
the initials WGA. The large rectangular workshop adjoins the house at the front left
(south-west) and is set forward from it, projecting into the churchyard. It is said
to have been a wheelwright's workshop and appears always to have had a semi-
Exterior: 2-storey house with a symmetrical 3-bay front. C19 plank front door in the
centre with a glazed rectangular overlight. Datestone of 1730 with initials in the
front. wall to right of centre. 2-light C19 or C20 timber casements with glazing
bars, one on either side of the front door and 3 to the first floor. The right
return of the house faces the village street and is symmetrical with brick dressings
to the openings. C19 panelled front door (possibly a shop door) in the centre,
flanked by 2-pane late C19 sashes with a 4-pane similar sash on the first floor in
the centre. The workshop has a 12-pane fixed window on the south side, and 3 windows
on the west end. There is internal evidence of a further large doorway on the east
end where the workshop projects forward from the house.
Interior: The house has a boxed in crossbeam in the right hand room.
Roof Not inspected at time of survey. The building was thatched in 1960 (old list
description) but the thatch was laid over an earlier slate roof (information from
owner). Likely to have been the Church House and historically of interest for this
reason, possibly with C16 or C17 features not seen at time of survey (1987).
Important to the setting of the Church and, sited end on to the road, providing
variety to the main street in the village.
Listing NGR: SS7583023772
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings