History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Crown House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Caxton, Cambridgeshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.2083 / 52°12'29"N

Longitude: -0.0939 / 0°5'38"W

OS Eastings: 530340

OS Northings: 258388

OS Grid: TL303583

Mapcode National: GBR K5P.F2Y

Mapcode Global: VHGMJ.BR6G

Plus Code: 9C4X6W54+8C

Entry Name: The Crown House

Listing Date: 31 August 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162925

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51106

Location: Caxton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB23

County: Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Caxton

Built-Up Area: Caxton

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Caxton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Papworth Everard


TL 3058-3158

(West Side)
No. 65 (The Crown House)


House formerly The Crown Coaching Inn. C16 or early C17 with later C17 and
C18 alterations. C17 red brick, painted in street elevation, and exposed and
plastered timber-frame. Hipped plain tile roofs. Two ridge stacks to left
hand and one stack to right hand. Two storeys with attics and cellars.
U-plan with rear wings enclosing yard and with evidence of galleries to south
and east; carriageway to north of centre and coeval with north range; south
and west ranges late C17. Street elevation: Plastered plinth and double
brick band between floors. Two first floor and one ground floor blind
windows, five first floor twelve-paned slightly recessed hung sash windows
and four similar ground floor windows. Entrance to left hand approached by
stone and brick steps with six-panelled C19 door and panelled reveals to
doorcase with canopy on shaped brackets. Carriageway with early C17 carved
four-centred headed arch; half-glazed door to right hand. Rear elevation
has enclosed gallery to east and partly demolished and enclosed gallery to
south; three wooden pillars survive. Interior: Red brick corner hearths
with elliptical brick arches and one with a mantel beam, in south and rear
ranges; large inglenook hearth to north range. Wall painting of panelled
design in first floor room. C17 door with cockshead hinges. Short flight of
original attic stair with flat balusters. The Crown Inn was the collecting
Post Office for north Cambridgeshire by the end of the C18, and was used as a
Magistrates Court until 1839, it ceased to be an inn c.1860.

R.C.H.M. West Cambs., p39, mon.ll
V.C.H., Vol. V, pp 26, 27, 33
Brown J.
Caxton Now and Then 1984

Listing NGR: TL3034058388

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.