This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3237 / 52°19'25"N
Longitude: -0.1193 / 0°7'9"W
OS Eastings: 528274
OS Northings: 271178
OS Grid: TL282711
Mapcode National: GBR K49.6PD
Mapcode Global: VHGLX.WV9H
Plus Code: 9C4X8VFJ+F7
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 30 May 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1162944
English Heritage Legacy ID: 53919
Location: Hemingford Abbots, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE28
Civil Parish: Hemingford Abbots
Built-Up Area: Hemingford Abbots
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Hemingford Abbots St Margaret of Antioch
Church of England Diocese: Ely
HEMINGFORD ABBOTS CHURCH LANE
Church of St Margaret
TL 28 71 14/5 30.5.58
Parish Church. C13 with late C14 tower and spire. Stone, rubble and Barnack stone
dressings; roofs of lead, copper and slates. Modern gault brick chancel. Tower of
three stages with moulded plinth and embattled parapet. The angle buttresses,
semi-hexagonal, semi-octagonal and diagonal at each stage are finished with gabled
and crocketed pinnacles. Spire rebuilt in 1911 has original spire lights in two upper
stages. South porch rebuilt in 1887 incorporating much earlier material. C13 aisles;
nave arcades circa 1300. Flying buttresses across aisle and thicker octagonal piers
mark original crossing. Fine C15 nave roof with Decorated rood bay, bosses, and
angels at ends of principal rafters. In vestry Romano-Brit. sarcophagus found in
1889, and vase of caster-ware (stolen within the last five years).
(RCHM Huntingdonshire p 130).
Octagonal font with plain arch decoration stands on central circular shaft with four
octagonal columns. Stained glass insets with armorial bearings to Dickens and
Hildesley families circa 1740, with fragments of earlier glass in east window of
north aisle. Modern engraved glass partition in tower arch by David Peace. Early
C17 chests with two hinged lids on turned legs.
Listing NGR: TL2827471178
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings