This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.8463 / 53°50'46"N
Longitude: -0.4385 / 0°26'18"W
OS Eastings: 502826
OS Northings: 440025
OS Grid: TA028400
Mapcode National: GBR TRCY.VY
Mapcode Global: WHGF4.7LF6
Entry Name: 45, North Bar Without
Listing Date: 30 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1162966
English Heritage Legacy ID: 167370
Location: Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU17
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Beverley
Built-Up Area: Beverley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Beverley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
NORTH BAR WITHOUT (west side)
Dated 1894, architect, J E Elwell. Two storeys and attics, applied straight studded half timber above brick. Pantile roof with three dormers, the two outer gabled.
Applied timber braces to sides. Coved cornice with stucco 'honesty' flowers and tendrils in a continuous scroll. Dated to centre 'December 1894'. Two rectangular oriels, one of four and one of six lights and side lights on brackets with carved figures. Centre window of four lights, the upper with glazing bars. The ground floor has two windows of four and six lights, the upper with glazing bars, under carved wood bands. Wood doorway with carved panel above flanked by beasts, with date numerals. The panel is carved with a scene from 'The Cloister and the Hearth' and depicts the carving of toy wood horses with the legend 'We like to go as near nature as we can for 6 pence'.
The interior shows the influence of the Queen Anne revival, with mixed early and late Georgian and Regency motifs.
Listing NGR: TA0282640025
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings