This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3194 / 52°19'9"N
Longitude: -0.1068 / 0°6'24"W
OS Eastings: 529136
OS Northings: 270722
OS Grid: TL291707
Mapcode National: GBR K49.HV6
Mapcode Global: VHGLY.3YDT
Entry Name: River House
Listing Date: 24 October 1951
Last Amended: 4 November 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1163089
English Heritage Legacy ID: 53974
Location: Hemingford Grey, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE28
Civil Parish: Hemingford Grey
Built-Up Area: Hemingford Grey
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Hemingford Grey St James
Church of England Diocese: Ely
HEMINGFORD GREY HIGH STREET
No 67 (River House)
(formerly listed as
TL 29 70 16/10 24.10.51
Mid C18 L-plan house with late C18 facade with parapet. Gault brick with red brick
to rear wall of main range. Mansard roof of old, plain tiles and modern tiles.
Dentilled eaves cornice to wing and rear of main range. Tumbled gable ends. End
stacks. Two-storeys and attics. Band between floors. Three flat-roofed dormers
with horizontal sliding sashes with glazing bars. Symmetrical five window range of
hung sashes with glazing bars in moulded architraves. Flat arches of gauged brick to
windows. Later louvred shutters to ground floor windows. Late C18 doorcase of
pilasters with entablature of fluted capitals, boss enrichments to freize, dentilled
cornice and triangular pediment. Door with four raised and fielded panels. Semi-
circular headed arch to staircase window with glazing bars in rear wall of main range.
Interior left hand ground-floor room with dado, later panelling and moulded cornice.
Bolection moulded fireplace with flanking late C18 niches with plain shell hoods with
small, fluted key blocks, pilasters with recessed panels and entablature with fluted
capitals and boss and floral enrichments to spandrels. Shaped shelving to doors of
cupboards below. Pulvinated closed string staircase of two flights and two landings
with turned balusters, moulded rail and square section newel posts with ball finials.
Circa 1900 studio to rear right hand built by Dendy-Sadler. Gault brick. Tiled,
mansard roof. One-storey. External stack to north-east corner. Interior with
coved ceiling. Circa 1900 conservatory to right hand with lean-to roof. Side
elevation of three bays with wood pilasters,divisions and segmental headed arches of
trellis work. Home of the artist Dendry-Sadler (1854-1923) from 1900-1923.
Listing NGR: TL2913670722
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings