This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3988 / 52°23'55"N
Longitude: 0.1518 / 0°9'6"E
OS Eastings: 546494
OS Northings: 280045
OS Grid: TL464800
Mapcode National: GBR L50.P5H
Mapcode Global: VHHJ4.LY2Y
Entry Name: Church of St Martin
Listing Date: 5 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1163097
English Heritage Legacy ID: 49584
Location: Witcham, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB6
District: East Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Witcham
Built-Up Area: Witcham
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Witcham
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 4680 WITCHAM HIGH STREET
13/54 Church of St Martin
Parish church. C13 west tower, part of nave arcade and chancel. C14 nave.
Restorations of 1691 (dated brick in tower), includes much of the red
brickwork and of C19. Field and rubblestone walls and limestone and clunch
dressings with red brick restoration and plain tiled and slate roof with end
parapets and gable crosses. Plan of west tower, nave with late north and
south aisles and chancel. West tower C13 with much of the wall rebuilt in
1691 and a north west buttress in C20. Three stages with brick embattled
parapet and three stage diagonal buttressing with reused limestone dressings.
C13 west lancet window with hollow moulding and deeply splayed rear arch.
Similar window to second and bell stage. Nave, C13 origin but rebuilt in C14
when the aisles were added. The original gable of the C13 nave roof is
visible in the west wall. Clerestory has on each side three windows of two
trefoil lights each. The south aisle has at the west end a C13 lancet window
partly rebuilt. Two reset coupled lancets in the south wall (similar to those
at Coveney q.v.in the north wall of the chancel). The walls are of fieldstone
with red brick to upper courses. The south porch is C13 in origin but the
walls are probably C15 with C17 roof. Dressed limestone to the buttressing,
but fieldstone walls and plain tiled gable roof with brick sawtooth eaves
cornice. The gable end wall is of red brick with a reset C13 outer arch of
dressed limestone. Two centred arch of two chamfered orders on half octagonal
columns to the responds with label and mask stops. The inner arch is two
centred and of a single chamfered order. Chancel. Fieldstone walls and
limestone dressings. Single lancet in south wall and two C15 windows,
restored, in square heads. The east window is C19, but the evidence for the
C13 lancets, probably graduated, is visible internally and externally. The
north wall of the chancel has two C13 lancets and a C13 doorway, blocked,
having a two centred single chamfered arch. North aisle of nave has three
windows, C13 and C14. One has two lights in two centred arch with Y-tracery,
and two have five trefoil lights in two centred arch with reticulated tracery
to the spandrel. The north doorway, like the south doorway, has a two centred
single chamfered arch. Interior: C13 west tower arch, two centred and of two
chamfered orders with a label. Nave arcade of five bays on south side and
four on the north. Two centred arches of two chamfered orders, similar to
that of the C13 tower arch. The piers are however C14. Nave roof, C19, of
tie beam and collar rafter type with short bracing. The jackposts to the
tiebeams are carried on original carved corbels. C19 chancel roof. Chancel
arch C14, is two centred and of two chamfered orders on half octagonal
responds with moulded capitals and splayed bases. Double piscina in south
wall with each bay having cinquefoil cusping to d two centred arch. The
communion rail, early C18, with twisted balusters of column-on-vase type.
Wall monuments: North side of chancel. Rev Joseph Layton, d1771. Limestone
with black marble tablets. South wall of Chancel. Rev Richard Taylor d.1720.
Limestone and black marble. Chancel screen: C16. Five bays including centre
entry bay. Oak. Closed lower stage has some modern subcusping to the heads,
but original centre panels with waterleaf and mask motif. Pulpit, C15 is of
clunch and rare. Three sides with blank cusped arches, steps to entry on
fourth side. Some C16 pews remain at the west end of the nave. Original
benches to some, with moulded rail and poppy, head finials to ends. Font.
C12. Limestone. Tapering square with chamfered corners on central shaft with
four subsidiary columns with moulded capitals and base. The chamfers each
have a grotesque mask and the sides are carved in low relief with an angel,
two dragons and an eagle.
Pevsner: Buildings of England p504
VCH: Cambs Vol IV
Listing NGR: TL4649480045
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings