History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Witcham, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3989 / 52°23'56"N

Longitude: 0.151 / 0°9'3"E

OS Eastings: 546446

OS Northings: 280056

OS Grid: TL464800

Mapcode National: GBR L50.H12

Mapcode Global: VHHJ4.KYQV

Entry Name: The Hall

Listing Date: 5 February 1952

Last Amended: 18 August 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1309345

English Heritage Legacy ID: 49581

Location: Witcham, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB6

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Witcham

Built-Up Area: Witcham

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Witcham

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Mepal

Listing Text


TL 4680 WITCHAM HIGH STREET
(North side)
13/51
5.2.52 The Hall (formerly listed
under The Hall, with Barn
GV Gates and Gatepiers)

II

House. Circa 1700 with c.1840 Tudor Gothic remodelling of the facade. Brick,
rendered. Plain tiled steeply pitched roof with embattled parapet on the front
with moulded main cornice and end parapets. End stacks which are carried on
moulded corbel at first floor. Each stack has three octagonal shafts, of
gault brick rendered with capping and string course and all c.1840. Original
L-plan includes a service wing at the rear. Two storeys and attic.
Symmetrical front elevation of three first floor three-light cross frame
casements. Central doorway in four centred arch has boarded door with cover
strips and is approached by three steps with nosing. Two embattled canted
bays with full length central casement flank the doorway. The service wing is
of similar material and also has a plain tiled roof with a ridge stack. One
storey and attic. Beyond is a dairy and other outbuildings. Interior:
Symmetrical plan with room at east end having main beam with C18 panelled
boxing and a small plaster coving. The open well staircase is original and of
five flights and two landings. Closed string with square newels, toads back
rail and turned balusters of vase-on-vase type. Tie beam and main beams are
substantial with broad stop chamfers. There are C19 details such as white
marble hearths. The house is cellared.


Listing NGR: TL4644680056

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.