History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Fowlmere, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0923 / 52°5'32"N

Longitude: 0.0721 / 0°4'19"E

OS Eastings: 542053

OS Northings: 245799

OS Grid: TL420457

Mapcode National: GBR L8L.T7T

Mapcode Global: VHHKN.6NHW

Entry Name: The Old Manor House

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1163240

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52935

Location: Fowlmere, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG8

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Fowlmere

Built-Up Area: Fowlmere

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Fowlmere St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Fowlmere

Listing Text

TL 4245 FOWLMERE HIGH STREET
(West Side)
18/122 The Old Manor House
22.11.67
GV II
Manor house now a farmhouse with attached range to north originally an
industrial building or warehouse. Late C15 with mid C16 alterations, C17
additions and c.1700 and C19 alterations. Timber-framed and roughcast
rendered. Plain tiled roofs. Two rear side stacks (one demolished
recently), large stack with three diagonal shafts to left of main range, side
stack to front elevation of lower range to left hand. Two storeys and two
storeys and attics with cellar. The original building of open hall and cross
wing to the south was further extended to the south by a C17 kitchen, and a
warehouse to the north; a floor was inserted into the hall and the large
stack between the hall and cross wing in the C16. The hall and warehouse and
the cross wing and kitchen were reroofed under two roofs with a north-south
axis in c.1700 and chimney stacks were built into the warehouse. C19 lean-to
hipped porched entrance, and C20 rear outshut. Two C18 three-leaded-light
windows to left hand range; three large ground floor and three first floor
C20 casement windows with leaded lights. C20 boarded door. Two hipped
dormer windows. Moulded eaves cornice and painted brick plinth. Interior:
South room originally the kitchen with red brick hearth, plain mantel beam,
baking oven and extra small hearth, exposed floor frame and timber-frame;
original cross wing of two timber-framed bays with exposed substantial
timber-frame with wide braces trenched and nailed across studs, and braced
tie beam: triple-roll-moulded principal floor beams and cornice inserted
into original hall with rebuilt C16 hearth; warehouse of tlhree timber-framed
bays converted to domestic use in c.1700, the whole building divided into
three tenements in C19.
V.C.H. Vol. VI, p.157
R.C.H.M. Report 1950


Listing NGR: TL4205345799

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.