This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.1032 / 54°6'11"N
Longitude: -2.7905 / 2°47'25"W
OS Eastings: 348408
OS Northings: 467768
OS Grid: SD484677
Mapcode National: GBR 8NYZ.NW
Mapcode Global: WH841.34G7
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 2 May 1968
Last Amended: 7 November 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1163533
English Heritage Legacy ID: 181783
Location: Bolton-le-Sands, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA5
Civil Parish: Bolton-le-Sands
Built-Up Area: Bolton-le-Sands
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Bolton-le-Sands Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 48 67 BOLTON-LE-SANDS MAIN ROAD (EAST SIDE)
13/19 Church of St Mary
2. 5. 1968 (formerly listed as Roman Catholic Church
of St Mary of the Angels)
Roman Catholic Church, 1880, by E.Simpson of Bradford. Snecked sandstone rubble with
sandstone dressings and slate roof. Tall nave and chancel with
continuous ridge line. Low lean-to aisles with slightly higher pitched
roof to chancel aisles. Aisles and clearstorey have small lancet windows.
West end has tall lancets, hood and vesica. Porch under slim south-west
tower, which is heavily buttressed, square in form, broached to a louvred
octagon above with pyramidal roof. Steeply-arched 5-light decorated east
window. Inside is a 5-bay arcade with marble columns and heavy sculptural
detail. Chancel arch has ringed shafts on heavily carved corbels. Short
2-bay chancel with tall stone reredos and stencilled wall decoration.
Timber gallery on marble columns at west end. The nave has an open timber
roof with high collars, king posts and arcaded ashlaring. Some stained
glass of late C19th date.
Listing NGR: SD4840867768
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings