History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Engine House About 140 Metres South of Canonteign Barton

A Grade II Listed Building in Christow, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6352 / 50°38'6"N

Longitude: -3.6454 / 3°38'43"W

OS Eastings: 283732

OS Northings: 83012

OS Grid: SX837830

Mapcode National: GBR QN.LC35

Mapcode Global: FRA 377D.CMF

Entry Name: Engine House About 140 Metres South of Canonteign Barton

Listing Date: 9 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1163737

English Heritage Legacy ID: 85592

Location: Christow, Teignbridge, Devon, EX6

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Christow

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Christow St James

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Christow

Listing Text

CHRISTOW
SX 88 SW
5/73 Engine House about 140 metres
south of Canonteign Barton
GV II
Engine house at Wheal Exmouth lead and barytes mine. 1853. Stone rubble with ashlar
granite dressings. Unusually ornamental, in a classical style to match the adjacent
octagonal ventilation shaft (q.v.).
Plan: Rectangular on plan with a large doorway on the south west side, facing the
road.
Exterior: Originally 3 storeys, top storey incomplete. Grand rusticated granite
round-headed doorway on south west side with a keystone, rusticated granite quoins.
The doorway retains a timber frame with glazing bars, presumably for margin panes and
an incomplete 2-leaf arched door with plain panelling. The south east elevation,
clad in ivy, with a narrow ground floor doorway and first floor doorway with
surviving timber frame, second floor window with 6-pane timber frame. The north east
elevation has a round headed ground floor window with ashlar masonry, a keystone and
a timber frame with glazing bars ; the north west elevation has 2 ground floor
windows with segmental arches, ashlar voussoirs and 6-pane timber frames.
Wheal Exmouth, operating from the 1850s to 1880, employed 70 underground workers in
1863. The site of the mine was visible from Canonteign House (q.v.), the Exmouth
family seat built in 1828 but later screened from it by tree planting. The ornate
style was presumably employed for the sake of the view from Canonteign House.


Listing NGR: SX8373283012

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.