This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6338 / 50°38'1"N
Longitude: -3.6481 / 3°38'53"W
OS Eastings: 283538
OS Northings: 82864
OS Grid: SX835828
Mapcode National: GBR QN.LJDF
Mapcode Global: FRA 377D.JJR
Plus Code: 9C2RJ9M2+GP
Entry Name: Canonteign House
Listing Date: 11 November 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1333896
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85593
Location: Christow, Teignbridge, Devon, EX6
Civil Parish: Christow
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Christow St James
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 88 SW
5/74 Canonteign House
House, seat of the Exmouth family. 1828 by Charles Robert Ayers (c.1788-1845)
(Colvin) for Hon. Capt. P.B. Pellew HP (later 2nd Viscount Exmouth), and remodelled
internally with some external alterations by Forbes of Lincolns Inn (information from
owner) after an early C20 fire. Stuccoed, slate roof concealed behind parapet,
stuccoed chimney shafts with ornamental pots.
Plan: Rectangular on plan in the Greek Revival style with an orangery adjoining at
the west, north-east entrance elevation. The internal arrangement is early C20 : the
former central stair hall has been replaced by a 2-storey top-lit galleried ballroom.
Internal joinery, chimney-pieces and principal stair all early C20.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 7-bay entrance elevation with left and right
pilasters, cornice and parapet, the centre 3-bays broken forward and divided by
pilasters. C20 2-leaf glazed front door with glazing bars and an integral fanlight ;
C20 baroque door hood carried on moulded brackets 2 leaf outer glazed doors with
integral fanlights and floating cornices ; other ground floor windows with similar
fanlights below round-headed recesses decorated with laurel wreaths. First floor
windows with moulded architraves glazed with 2-light timber casements with glazing
bars. A stone plaque adjacent to the front door commemorates Admiral Lord Exmouth,
died 1833, with a verse. Symmetrical 5-bay garden elevation with parapet and cornice,
the centre 3 bays broken forward under a pediment with a giant applied order of lonic
columns ; left and right pilasters. Outer ground floor windows with floating
pediments, inner windows below round-headed recesses decorated with laurel wreaths
with integral fanlights as on entrance elevation. 7 bay rear elevation with parapet,
cornice and outer pilasters the centre 3 bays broken forward and divided by
pilasters, ; floating cornices to outer 2-leaf glazed doors, inner windows below
round-headed recesses decorated with laurel wreaths, integral fanlights. First floor
windows similar to other elevations. 5-bay orangery at right angles to rear
conversion to swimming pool in progress at time of survey (1987), the centre 3-bays
with 2-leaf glazed doors below round-headed recesses decorated with laurel wreaths ;
outer doors square-headed, all with integral fanlights. North west elevation, rather
altered with basement, additional attic storey and casement windows.
Interior: Early C20 fittings including 2-panel doors, chimney-pieces, gallery and
stair with turned balusters.
A particularly impressive south-east garden elevation overlooking the road.
Listing NGR: SX8353882864
Other nearby listed buildings