This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3244 / 50°19'27"N
Longitude: -3.6759 / 3°40'33"W
OS Eastings: 280795
OS Northings: 48505
OS Grid: SX807485
Mapcode National: GBR QN.1393
Mapcode Global: FRA 3855.RQP
Plus Code: 9C2R88FF+QJ
Entry Name: Newton Farmhouse
Listing Date: 25 March 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1163749
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99866
Location: Slapton, South Hams, Devon, TQ9
Civil Parish: Slapton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Slapton St James the Great
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
1310/5/80 Newton Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Circa 1840. Local slate rubble with scantle slate hung front
and north west side. Slurried slate hipped roof, re-clad in asbestos slates, the lead roll hips replaced by clay ridge tiles and the deep eaves now have plastic gutters in place of moulded cast-iron gutters. Two stacks on either side each
with 2 rendered diagonally-set shafts.
Plan: Double depth square plan with 2 principal rooms at the front and
central entrance between leading to stairwell at the back with main stairs
and with servants stairs to the right. Behind the right hand room there is
the kitchen and at the back to the left the dairy and a back lobby and
doorway between. There is a cellar under the front of the house.
Exterior: 2 storeys and cellar. Symmetrical 3-window south west front.
Original 16-pane sashes with small horns and slate sills, centre first floor
is blind. Central doorway with original 6 panel door and rectangular
overlight with margin panes and with later glazed and slate-hung porch. the
slate hanging of the front continues a little way around the right hand
return where there is only a small basement window. The left hand return
has C19 flush panel cellar doorway to right (front) and to left (rear) a
small 2-light casement to dairy. At the back irregular fenestration; 2
original 16-pane first floor sashes, ground floor left C19 3-light casement
to kitchen, 2-light casement to right to dairy and C20 central doorway;
above the door 2 small C20 windows.
Interior: Is intact. The front rooms each have marble chimneypieces and
flanking cupboards but neither room has moulded plaster cornices. Original
open well staircase with stick balusters and moulded mahogany hand rail
ramped up over turned newels. Other internal joinery is intact including
Listing NGR: SX8079548505
Other nearby listed buildings