This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3158 / 50°18'57"N
Longitude: -3.6736 / 3°40'25"W
OS Eastings: 280938
OS Northings: 47550
OS Grid: SX809475
Mapcode National: GBR QN.1PWJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 3866.DMR
Plus Code: 9C2R888G+8G
Entry Name: Thorn Farmhouse Including Linhay Adjoining North East
Listing Date: 25 March 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1163761
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99868
Location: Slapton, South Hams, Devon, TQ7
Civil Parish: Slapton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Slapton St James the Great
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX84NW Thorn Farmhouse
5/82 including Linhay
adjoining North East
Farmhouse. Datestone 1686, although it might be a remodelling at that date
of an earlier house; extended in late C18 or C19, restored in mid to late
C20. Painted and plastered stone rubble. Asbestos slate roof with gable
ends. Stone rubble gable end and axial stacks with slate weathering and
Plan and Development: The C17 house had a 2-room and through passage plan,
the lower end to the right with a gable end stack and the hall heated from a
central axial stack backing onto the passage. The large 2-storey bay dated
1686 on the front left of the hall is either an integral part of the
original plan or a C17 addition to an earlier house. The 2 storey 1-room
plan addition with a gable end stack at the higher left end is either a late
C17 addition coeval with the hall bay or a C18 or C19 extension built when
the hall bay was converted into a porch and the outducts added at the rear.
In circa C19 the farmhouse was divided into 2 cottages; there are winder
stairs at the back of the hall and lower end room and the through passages
right hand side partition has been removed.
In the late C20 it was reunited into one house and restored.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 4-window range. All late C20 3-light and
one single-light wooden casements with glazing bars in earlier openings.
Gabled 2-storey porch (formerly hall bay) to left of centre with C20 plank
door and C20 casement above with slate hoodmould and above that in gable a
slate plaque inscribed Neville Tucker 1686 Fecit. Over the door is a
weathered string. To right of centre a C20 plank door with a C20 asbestos
Rear elevation: The main roof is carried down over a large l-storey and
attic outshut at the centre behind the hall and to its left a lower outshut
behind the lower end has a similar catslide roof and a C20 plank door.
There is a doorway to the right into the higher end room and all the rear
windows are C20 casements.
At the lower right hand end a C19 2-bay linhay with a central stone rubble
pier, open on the ground floor but tallet above faced in C20
weatherboarding; and with asbestos slate gable-ended roof.
Interior: Hall has chamfered cross-beam and half-beam at high end with bar
stops and chamfered beam in opening to hall bay (now porch) with double-bar
stops, one end supported on chamfered wooden corbel with ogee stops. The
hall has a large fireplace in axial stack at lower end the chamfered wooden
lintel has ogee or notched stops and is on a corbelled jamb at one end; over
the lintel there is a moulded plaster frieze of heart-shape or flower
motifs, rather worn and not very distinct. The hall bay (porch) has rough
joists. The higher left end room has a plastered ceiling.
Roof: Only the lower end roof-space is accessible, it has nailed softwood
trusses. The feet of straight principals are visible in the hall chamber.
Listing NGR: SX8093847550
Other nearby listed buildings