This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7897 / 50°47'22"N
Longitude: -3.1431 / 3°8'35"W
OS Eastings: 319520
OS Northings: 99528
OS Grid: SY195995
Mapcode National: GBR LZ.ZHKH
Mapcode Global: FRA 4790.98V
Plus Code: 9C2RQVQ4+VQ
Entry Name: The Old Rectory Including Stables to East
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1163786
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88789
Location: Offwell, East Devon, Devon, EX14
Civil Parish: Offwell
Built-Up Area: Offwell
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Offwell St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 19 NE OFFWELL OFFWELL
3/118 The Old Rectory including stables
- to east
House,former rectory. 1845 according to the owner, and built by the Reverend E.
Copleston, Bishop of Llandaff, and Dean of St Pauls. Local stone rubble and flint
rubble with Hamstone detail (all the ashlar is a little proud of the wall masonry as
if it was to be exposed and the rubble masonry was to be plastered); stone rubble
stacks with probably late C19 cream-coloured machine brick chimneyshafts; slate
Plan: the house faces west. The main block has a 2-room plan, one either side of
an entrance hall and main stair. The left room has a gable-end stack and the right
room has an axial stack backing onto the entrance hall. Behind this front block and
slighly narrower is a rear block projecting at right angles under parallel roofs.
This contains the 1-room plan kitchen block with a gable-end stack to the north.
The south block projects a little further back and has a 2-room plan, the first room
heated by an axial stack backing onto the front block and the second room has a
gable-end stack. This south block overlooks the garden and contains principal
rooms. 2 storeys with attics. Tudor Gothic style.
Exterior: nearly symmetrical 3-window west (entrance) front of Hamstone 2-light
windows with hollow-chamfered mullions and hoodmoulds, containing timber casements
with glazing bars. The centre bay is broken very slightly forward and is gabled
with an attic window. It contains the main doorway, a Hamstone Tudor arch with
moulded surround and hoodmould and contains part-glazed panelled double doors.
Alongside to left is a small side light with its own hoodmoulds. Above, at first
floor level, is a dripcourse. There is a plain Hamstone eaves cornice. The roof is
gable-ended with shaped kneelers and coping. The front and right end gables have
carved apex finials. There is similar fenestration round the rest of the house.
The south (garden) front, for instance, has a 2:2-window front. Here is included a
canted bay window, ground floor right and the other ground floor windows are large
enough to be used as French windows.
Interior: not inspected but the owners report that it contains a great deal of
original joinery and other detail.
To rear (east) is a service courtyard containing the stables and coach house which
is built in the same style as the main house and includes more Tudor style Hamstone
The Old Rectory is one of a group of listed buildings in the centre of Offwell
village, most of which were built by Bishop Copleston in the early C19.
Listing NGR: SY1951899527
Other nearby listed buildings