This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9817 / 50°58'54"N
Longitude: -3.7284 / 3°43'42"W
OS Eastings: 278770
OS Northings: 121675
OS Grid: SS787216
Mapcode National: GBR L5.LK94
Mapcode Global: FRA 362J.39L
Plus Code: 9C2RX7JC+MM
Entry Name: The Village Hall
Listing Date: 29 December 1975
Last Amended: 18 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1163824
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97660
Location: Rose Ash, North Devon, Devon, EX36
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Rose Ash
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Rose Ash
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 72 SE ROSE ASH
6/129 The Village Hall (formerly
listed as Rose Ash School Hall)
Village hall, probably formerly part of the village school. 1877 (datestone) and
probably an addition to the voluntary school of 1847 following the creation of a
School Board. Stone rubble with a slate roof, gabled at ends with crested ridge
tiles, C20 addition in brick.
Plan: Overall L plan, presumably 2 classrooms, built on the perimeter of the
churchyard and adjacent to the old schoolroom and master's house dated 1847. The
larger block is on a north south axis with an east wing; a smaller porch block,
parallel to the wing, gives access to the main block, a brick lean-to has been aded
to the south side of the east wing.
Exterior: Single storey. Asymmetrical east elevation, the main block with a 3-light
stone mullioned window with chamfered mullions and C20 timber windows. The porch
block, to the right, has a similar window in the east end wall and a C20 half-glazed
door on the inner (south) return. The east wing, to the left, has a similar pair of
stone mullioned windows on the east end wall with relieving arches with keystones and
a blocked window in the gable with a chamfered stone frame. One of the north east
quoins of the wing is carved with the date 1877 and the initials JTD and a late
C19/early C20 lamp bracket and case is fixed to the wall. The wing has a roof dormer
with a hipped slate roof with crested ridge tiles, glazed with C19 timber casements.
The west elevation, overlooking the churchyard, has a similar roof dormer; the north
and south ends have 3-light high transomed stone mullioned windows, the upper lights
blocked internally by an inserted ceiling.
Important to the setting of the church and forming an historically interesting group
with the earlier school buildings to the south west.
Christopher Tull records that the school was built " on the site of two cottages
(probably almshouses) which were occupied by two poor families".
Tull, Christopher S., Rose Ash Church and People (1979), p. 26.
Listing NGR: SS7877021675
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings