This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6392 / 52°38'21"N
Longitude: -0.2958 / 0°17'44"W
OS Eastings: 515416
OS Northings: 305974
OS Grid: TF154059
Mapcode National: GBR GXJ.J1V
Mapcode Global: WHHN4.FXCK
Entry Name: Church of St Benedict
Listing Date: 15 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1163848
English Heritage Legacy ID: 50034
Location: Glinton, Peterborough, PE6
Civil Parish: Glinton
Built-Up Area: Glinton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Glinton St Benedict
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
5141 GLINTON HIGH STREET
Church of St Benedict
TF 1505 38/250 15.12.55
From C12. Nave has Perpendicular clerestorey and battlements with large grotesque
gargoyles. North aisle has shallow buttresses and battlements and Norman round
arched slit window in west end, chamfered north doorway with small flanking
buttresses, and restored Early English windows. The south aisle has battlements
angle buttresses restored Early English and Decorated windows and C15 four-centred
arch south doorway. The C15 south porch has circa 1300 outer arch with double
chamfer, the outer chamfer is hollow and has dogtooth ornament. The porch is
C15 moulded and with carved bosses. The porch contains 2 coffin lids with recumbent
figures. Chancel has battlements and Early English and Perpendicular south
windows, restored east window with intersecting tracery and buttresses with
set-offs. Early C13 chancel chapel. C15 west tower of 3 stages with diagonal
buttresses with set-offs, 2-light bell-openings, battlements and disproportionately
tall octagonal recessed spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes and outline with entasis.
Interior: Perpendicular arcades with octagonal piers and crenellated abaci.
Square Norman font with decoration of squares and crosses. C14 traceried
piscina in north chancel.
Monuments: early C14 stone effigies of a Forester, a horn and a lady
said to have come from Northborough and therefore might be Geoffrey Delamare,
supposed Forester of Kesteven.
The church is built of square rubble and ashlar, with lead and Collyweston stone
roofs. VCH Northants Vol II.
Listing NGR: TF1541605974
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings