History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Bridget and St Katherines' Cottages

A Grade II Listed Building in Bridgerule, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8025 / 50°48'8"N

Longitude: -4.44 / 4°26'24"W

OS Eastings: 228161

OS Northings: 103159

OS Grid: SS281031

Mapcode National: GBR K6.YR24

Mapcode Global: FRA 16LZ.828

Entry Name: St Bridget and St Katherines' Cottages

Listing Date: 18 December 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1164081

English Heritage Legacy ID: 91924

Location: Bridgerule, Torridge, Devon, EX22

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: Bridgerule

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Bridgerule

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Bridgerule

Listing Text

SS20SE BRIDGERULE CP CHURCHTOWN

12/22 St Bridget and St Katherines'
Cottages
GV
II

Church house used as schoolroom and almshouse, now 2 dwellings. Grant dated 1536,
divided into cottages early C19 if not before, western half (St Bridget's) modernised
early C20, eastern (St Katherine's) late C20. Random rubble masonry, quoins, corrugated
sheeting to roof, C20 rebuilt brick stacks right gable end and centre left. Plan:
originally 2-cell and cross passage with unheated room at west end, (schoolroom) with
loft over probably accessible by external stairway to churchyard, now with single storey
C20 addition east gable end and at rear to north. Two storeys, 4 bays, facade slightly
recessed end two bays left, first floor one 3-light casment left, others 2-light all set
just below eaves, ground floor all 3-light casements, under wooden lintel to left of
entrance to St Bridget's Cottage, C20 part-glazed door abutting break in facade, to
right of break casement below concrete lintel, early C20 part glazed door with 2
segmental-headed lights, stone relieving arch right to window opening. Interior: moulded
beam to former plank and muntin partition to left of entrance to St Katherine's Cottage,
the western profile visible in St Bridget's cottage has carved oak-leaves, large chimney
blocked with modern grate in this roan, similar to east in St Katherine's where jambs of
original opening still partly visible in cupboard. First floor blocked doorway in west
gable end and blocked window in south-east corner, 1830s register grate in bedroom in
St Bridget's; roof space not accessible, the bases of 3 pairs of trusses visible. Grant
by R.Calle, Sir Thomas and Hugh Stukelygh dated January 10th 1536 of land to build a
church house. It may have later served as the rectory. (Devon County Sites and
Monuments Register)


Listing NGR: SS2816003159

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.