History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Glebe House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bridgerule, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7993 / 50°47'57"N

Longitude: -4.4439 / 4°26'38"W

OS Eastings: 227875

OS Northings: 102814

OS Grid: SS278028

Mapcode National: GBR K6.YXR1

Mapcode Global: FRA 16LZ.DJV

Entry Name: The Glebe House

Listing Date: 18 December 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1326635

English Heritage Legacy ID: 91921

Location: Bridgerule, Torridge, Devon, EX22

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: Bridgerule

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Bridgerule

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Bridgerule

Listing Text

SS20SE BRIDGERULE CP VILLAGE CENTRE

The Glebe House
12/19


GV II

(Shown on OS map as Vicarage.) Vicarage, now holiday flats. Circa 1840. Random rubble
local stone, ashlar quoins, also to window openings, flat string course band, plinth,
pyramid slate roof, boxed eaves, large central brick stack with moulded cap. Double pile
plan, main elevation to east, main entrance now via former kitchen on north front
facing road. East front: 2 storeys plus attic, 3 bays, central gabled dormer with 9-pane
top hung sash window, 12-pane sashes first floor, 16-pane sashes ground floor flanking
square headed entrance with part glazed door. Left return: 2 bays, all 16-pane sashes
with stone tablet first floor centre which does not seem to have an inscription. Right
return part roughtcast, 4 bays, segmental headed 5 x 3 stairlight window, 16-pane sash
end bay right both storeys, and end bay left beside plank door. Interior: partly seen,
and those parts much altered. Reeded surrounds to doorways in hall, boxed in stick stairs
with turned newels, large monolithic granite trough in cellar for salting pork. The
vicarage was sold by the Church Commissioners in 1969. Reputed to have been built
between 1806 and 1820, but detail suggests a slightly later date.


Listing NGR: SS2787502814

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.