History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Greendale

A Grade II Listed Building in Clyst St. Mary, Devon

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7 / 50°42'0"N

Longitude: -3.4168 / 3°25'0"W

OS Eastings: 300037

OS Northings: 89886

OS Grid: SY000898

Mapcode National: GBR P4.7DSQ

Mapcode Global: FRA 37Q7.BP4

Entry Name: Greendale

Listing Date: 11 November 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1164231

English Heritage Legacy ID: 86152

Location: Clyst St. Mary, East Devon, Devon, EX5

County: Devon

District: East Devon

Civil Parish: Clyst St. Mary

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Woodbury Salterton

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Woodbury Road Station

Listing Text

CLYST ST MARY
SY 08 NW
3/16 Greendale
-
11.11.52 II

Substantial detached house. Early C19, possibly incorporating an earlier
structure. Blocked stucco; gabled-end slate roof. L-shaped plan with rear
extensions making it a double-depth house; the intersection of the 2 main ranges
was occupied (in 1839) by a polygonal building which has since been replaced by a
conservatory; the main stairs are situated to the rear of the entrance hall. 2
storeys.
Front: symmetrical 2:1:2 bay range, the central bay slightly projecting with a
pediment; moulded cornice throughout. All windows are 12-pane hornless sashes,
those to the ground floor with shaped blind boxes; central tripartite doorway with
panelled door under rectangular traceried fanlight, and flanking 4-pane sashes;
cornice with dentil frieze with triglyphs, and pilasters. Pilaster quoins. 2
external end stacks; that to the right could indicate the existence of an older
core to the house. Both end gable walls treated as pediments. Extending to the
right, and set well back is a later C19 double depth wing, each component
separately gabled, and forming a 2-window range with 12-pane hornless sashes to
both floors; internal end stack. The left-hand rear wing, gable, with pediment set
well back behind hipped-roofed conservatory; left-hand side elevation with 2
hornless sash windows to 1st floor, 6 panes up, 12 down and a balcony with cast
iron balusters. 12-pane hornless sash window to ground floor.
Rear: the gable wall of the wing just described and the adjoining extension both
with pediments with paired console brackets; contemporary windows with 12- or 16-
pane hornless sashes; axial stacks, plastered.
Interior: contemporary fittings include panelled shutters, plaster cornices, that
to the entrance hall with acanthus motif; doorways with panelled reveals and doors;
some doors under segmental pediments; marble or polished limestone chimneypieces.


Listing NGR: SY0003789886

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.