This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6979 / 50°41'52"N
Longitude: -3.4327 / 3°25'57"W
OS Eastings: 298909
OS Northings: 89677
OS Grid: SX989896
Mapcode National: GBR P3.NNHM
Mapcode Global: FRA 37P7.JGC
Entry Name: Kenniford Farmhouse
Listing Date: 11 November 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1097603
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86141
Location: Clyst St. George, East Devon, Devon, EX5
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Clyst St. George
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Clyst St George
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
CLYST ST GEORGE
SX 98 NE
2/4 Kenniford Farmhouse
Farmhouse. C17 (probably built by William Osborne, b.1623 d.1705), possibly re-
using the footings and some of the ceiling beams of an earlier house, with later
alterations. Brick, largely in English bond, on sandstone footings, with a concrete
tiled hipped roof over the greater part of the building, and a slate gabled-end roof
to the service end. Formerly a 3-room, cross-passage plan house, with a wing
containing the main mid to late-C17 stairs to the rear of the hall, and a second set
of stairs, now largely C19, to the front of the service end. A service-end front
wing retains some early fabric, but is largely C19. The roof ridge line of the
service end is much lower than that of the rest of the house which was probably
heightened in the C17. Service end heated by external stone end stack (partially
dismantled) with bake oven; hall by internal rear lateral brick stack, rear wing
chamber by external brick end stack corbelled out at 1st-floor level (the shaft
dismantled). Late C19 or C20 internal right-hand end stack. 2 storeys.
Front: 4-window range. All mid-C20 large metal casement windows to main range and
towing, with 2 French windows to the right of the C17 moulded door surround leading
into the cross passage (which has no opposing rear door). Plat band carried around
all sides except the right-hand C19 rendered brick end wall. The band is carried
around the one 2-light 1st-floor window of the rear wing. All rear casements mid or
late C20. Large rear leanto, C20.
Interior: ceiling cross beams to all rooms of main range - 3 each to hall and
service end chamfered with scroll stops, 2 to inner room boxed - 1 set very high, 1
to the hall supported by moulded upright and corbel. Good main stairs rising
through 3 storeys to attic, turned balusters, square section newels, formerly with
finials, 1 pendant surviving, pulvinated string, treads and risers intact. Service
end stairs are C19, but the 1st storey doorframes leading from them into the upper
rooms are C17, with ovolo and fillet moulding, scroll stopped with diamond above. 1
contemporary plank door with strap hinges with fleur-de-lys ends; another with big
moulded depressed panels.
Roofs: 2 trusses to the wing with long, straight, sawn principals, morticed at
apex, pegged tie beams may be C17; service end roof C19; main roof entirely C20.
Listing NGR: SX9890989677
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings