This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3257 / 50°19'32"N
Longitude: -3.6271 / 3°37'37"W
OS Eastings: 284276
OS Northings: 48576
OS Grid: SX842485
Mapcode National: GBR QQ.DXG0
Mapcode Global: FRA 3895.LR6
Entry Name: Barn and Former Cider House About 20 Metres S.e. of West Combe Farmhouse
Listing Date: 25 March 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164402
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99925
Location: Stoke Fleming, South Hams, Devon, TQ6
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Stoke Fleming
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Stoke Fleming St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
5X84lM Barn and WWWr ddm-
SX84NW Barn and Former Cider-
5/140 house about 20 metres
S.E. of West Combe
Barn extended by addition of a cider-house. Probably C17, extended in 1823.
Local slate rubble. Slate roof, mostly reclad in corrugated iron; gabled
right hand (south) end and half-hipped left (north) end.
Plan: The barn at the higher south end, extended in 1823 by the addition of
a cider-house at the lower north end with a loft above with access via
external stairs at the back (east). At the back are two C19 outshuts.
Exterior: 2 storey cider house at the lower north end and single storey
barn at the higher south end, all under a continuous roof. The west front
of the north end has a central doorway and a symmetrical arrangement of 2
windows on each floor, the ground floor's with segmented slate arches; the
first floor with timber lintel, the ground floor left hand is blind. Above
the doorway a small stone tablet inscribed "B over H.M. 1823". The barn to
the right (south) is built into a steep bank and its front wall is slightly
At the back (east) a flight of steps up to the left flanked by outshuts, the
left hand of which is now roofless.
Interior: At the north end the former cider-house has a loft floor. The
roof has straight principal rafters with lapped and pegged collars. Two of
the trusses are made from reused principals with mortices for threaded
and one has halving for a notched lapped joint.
Listing NGR: SX8427648576
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings