History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ivy House

A Grade II Listed Building in Over, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3167 / 52°19'0"N

Longitude: 0.0207 / 0°1'14"E

OS Eastings: 537834

OS Northings: 270657

OS Grid: TL378706

Mapcode National: GBR L5T.L31

Mapcode Global: VHHJN.91SB

Entry Name: Ivy House

Listing Date: 5 May 1981

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1164421

English Heritage Legacy ID: 50838

Location: Over, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB24

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Over

Built-Up Area: Over

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Over St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Over

Listing Text

TL 3770 OVER FEN END
(South East Side)

10/91 No. 12 (Ivy House)
5.5.81

II


House, late C17. Some minor C19 alterations. Red brick with
steeply pitched tiled roofs, tumbled end parapets on kneelers,
and a Dutch gable end to the wing to the road. Projecting end
stacks with offsets. Plan of three room main range with wing to
road, forming a T-plan. Two storeys and attics with plain band
at eaves height and between storeys. The wing to the road has a
segmental parapet on plain pilasters also of brick, surmounted
by ball finials of stone. The pilasters frame the elevation
which is divided by the bands. Original flat arches to five
flush frame horizontal sliding sashes. There have been minor
repairs in brick to front, rear and end walls. At left hand one
recessed hung sash above the doorway, and at right hand a
lean-to roof has been made to a small C19 addition. The rear
elevation has plain pilasters to the corners and flanking the
rear doorway. Door of raised and fielded panels. The location
of the original door to the street is not clear. Interior: The
house preserves the original plan of two rooms on either side of
narrower hall and stairbay. The wing to the road is of two
window bays. The staircase is c.1660 with flat section
balusters and original rail. Stop chamfered main beams to
ground floor rooms. There are doors with raised and fielded
panels. This house, No.14 Fen End and No.22 High Street, (q.v.)
are possibly associated with Dutch prisoners of war who, it is
believed, were used in construction of the New Bedford River and
remained after peace was concluded in 1654.
T. Bevis. Strangers in the Fens. p.34


Listing NGR: TL3783470657

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.