This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7246 / 50°43'28"N
Longitude: -3.4375 / 3°26'15"W
OS Eastings: 298629
OS Northings: 92645
OS Grid: SX986926
Mapcode National: GBR P3.LTD3
Mapcode Global: FRA 37P5.8MC
Entry Name: Dymond's Farmhouse
Listing Date: 18 November 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164530
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86171
Location: Sowton, East Devon, Devon, EX5
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Sowton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Sowton St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SOWTON BISHOP'S COURT LANE
SX 99 SE
1/36 Dymond's Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Built 1676, probably for Richard Bevis, the son of the then owner of
Bishop's Court. Mainly roughcast cob on stone footings, with a brick service end
extension. Hipped thatched roof. Four-room house in a straight block; the main
entrance leads into the hall with inner room to the left of the hall, and a kitchen
and another service room to the right; there is no indication of an original
passage. The hall ceiling extends over the present passage, which might have been
divided from it by a low screen. The service end was extended, or a fifth room
rebuilt, in brick in the C19, with a barn to the rear. Hall heated by a shallow
external rear lateral stack; inner room with an internal end fireplace (shaft
dismantled); kitchen heated by a prominent external lateral rear stack. Main
stairs now between hall and inner room; secondary stairs to rear of service room.
Front: irregular 5-window range; the eaves line runs at a higher level over the
hall and inner room; first floor windows to these chambers are tall C19 2-light
casements under pronounced brick window arches; kitchen and service-room chambers
with 2 and 4-light casement windows, mid C19, both under eyebrow eaves; brick
extension with small 2-light casement window. Ground floor: 2-light C19 casement
windows under pronounced window arches to inner room, hall and kitchen; service
room with 3-light: C17 stone window with ovolo moulded surround and mullions, the
outer lights blocked. 3 doors, that to the left with slated canopy. The main
door, leading into the hall, has a datestone 'RB 1676' with pretty foliage and
floral decoration, set above it.
Rear: the hall chamber extends beyond the line of the rear wall and is separately
gabled, and supported by brick piers (possibly replacing wooden posts), now
engulfed in later leantos that extend along the whole length of the house. 2 C17
windows, both of 2 lights with ovolo moulded stone surrounds and mullion, one
(entirely blocked) to service room, the other to the chamber above kitchen. Right-
hand elevation with 2 brick buttresses.
Interior: as described by Dr Alcock; hall ceiling divided by ceiling beam, each
compartment with central plaster rose and corner florets; service end with 2
ceiling beams, one with run-out stops. Rough stud and panel screen between service
room and rear stairs. Rear barn with straight principals to roof, crossed,
morticed and pegged at apex, the collars bolted.
The farmhouse has remained almost completely unchanged since Dr Alcock's visit, N W
Alcock, 'Houses in an East Devon Parish', Trans.Devon Assoc., 94 (1962), p.221,
p1.19, 20, 21; figs.15, 18.
Listing NGR: SX9862992645
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings