This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.6551 / 53°39'18"N
Longitude: -2.1711 / 2°10'15"W
OS Eastings: 388791
OS Northings: 417641
OS Grid: SD887176
Mapcode National: GBR FV85.RG
Mapcode Global: WHB8Q.MDC7
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 29 July 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164533
English Heritage Legacy ID: 185838
Location: Whitworth, Rossendale, Lancashire, OL12
Civil Parish: Whitworth
Built-Up Area: Whitworth
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Whitworth St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
255/11/259 WHITWORTH RAKE
29-JUL-1966 CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
Church. 1847-50. By J. Clarke. Seriously damaged by fire and rebuilt in much reduced form by the Buttress Fuller Geoffrey Alsop Partnership in 1988. The only parts of the building to remain substantially intact were the embattled west front and west tower, the aisle walls and the arcades. The walls are of sandstone rubble and the roof slate. The 4-stage tower has a polygonal stair turret finishing above the eaves with grotesques and battlements, diagonal buttresses with flint and brick panels, bands at all levels; arched doorway on south side in square headed surround with hoodmould, at 2nd and 3rd stages rectangular lancets with tracery and hoodmoulds, and transomed 3-light belfry louvres with tracery in the heads. West end has doorway with 2 orders, spandrels with carvings of lamb and bird, square-topped surround and hoodmould; 6-light west window with Perpendicular tracery; west end of north aisle has transomed 3-light window. The nave and aisles have been rebuilt to a square 4-bay plan with the tower occupying the south west corner.
INTERIOR. Some of the grotesques and other carvings (said to be by a Mr Egglesmere who was deaf and dumb) were salvaged from the fire and now act as corbels inside the church. The reredos, designed by Walter Tapper in 1922, was acquired from Christ Church, Cotmanhay, in Derbyshire, after the fire.
The church's tower and west front still form an immensely impressive group at the top of the steep path leading to the west door.
Listing NGR: SD8879117641
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings