This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5516 / 52°33'5"N
Longitude: -0.3277 / 0°19'39"W
OS Eastings: 513482
OS Northings: 296172
OS Grid: TL134961
Mapcode National: GBR GYN.1YP
Mapcode Global: VHGKV.84L9
Entry Name: The Manor House
Listing Date: 25 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164628
English Heritage Legacy ID: 54824
Location: Alwalton, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE7
Civil Parish: Alwalton
Built-Up Area: Peterborough
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Alwalton
Church of England Diocese: Ely
ALWALTON WATER END
TL 19 NW
2/18 The Manor House
Manor House. Early and mid C17 with C18 and C19 alterations, C20 renovation.
Coursed limestone rubble and freestone dressings. Collyweston stone slated
roofs. Parapet gables with chamfered copings; end stack to left hand with
brick coursing and two similar ashlar ridge stacks. Two storeys and attics,
cellar below stairs, original E-plan reduced after c.1789 fire (south-west
range beyond porch and cross wing demolished). Moulded wooden eaves cornice
with shaped and jewelled modillions to front elevation. Two storey gabled
porch to left hand with wide square-headed rusticated outer archway,
rectangular plaque below gable and possibly a blocked window. Plaque
inscribed WB 1789, IB 1825, WB 1849, WSB 1849 (Bradleys). Three ground floor
and three first floor three-light transomed casement windows with moulded
round headed wooden arch with shaped key to central light (a vernacular form
of window qv Thorpe Hall, Longthorpe, Cambs). One similar first floor window
to cross wing and former ground floor window with inserted C19 boarded door.
Stone mullioned windows and wooden cross framed windows in side and rear
elevation. Interior: C18, C19 and C20 modifications to original plan. C16
reused floor frames to east wing and C17 floor frames. Chamfered round headed
arched doorway with worn limestone step to rear main range. Original C17
limestone chimney pieces with ovolo moulded cornices and slightly pointed
arches to hall and first floor room. Pine cupboard and mantel, shelf to
cooking hearth of entrance hall formerly a kitchen. C18 Adam style chimney
piece in first floor room formerly in hall. Very fine closed string oak
staircase with turned balusters and ball finials to newel posts. C17
bolection moulded panelled doors and C18 and C19 doors. Room to rear of cross
passage with panelling and chimney piece from Stilton House, Stilton, Cambs.
1701, (RCHM, p260). The building shows clearly two C17 building periods, it
is possible that the front elevation and side elevation to the cross wing were
rebuilt in the late C17.
V.C.H. Huntingdonshire, p.133
R.C.H.M. Huntingdonshire, p.15
Pevsner. Buildings of England, p.206
Enclosure Award. 1809. HRO
Inskip Ladds Records, Norris Museum, St Ives.
Listing NGR: TL1348296172
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings