History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Building Immediately North West of North West Corner of Church House Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Goosnargh, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.8267 / 53°49'36"N

Longitude: -2.6674 / 2°40'2"W

OS Eastings: 356168

OS Northings: 436925

OS Grid: SD561369

Mapcode National: GBR 9ST5.9Y

Mapcode Global: WH96L.023P

Plus Code: 9C5VR8GM+M3

Entry Name: Building Immediately North West of North West Corner of Church House Farmhouse

Listing Date: 13 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1164632

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185903

Location: Goosnargh, Preston, Lancashire, PR3

County: Lancashire

Civil Parish: Goosnargh

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Goosnargh St Mary The Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in



5/56 Building immediately
north west of north west
corner of Church House


Building of uncertain former purpose, now shippon and store, but perhaps a
wing of the former farmhouse (dated 1589) which was taken down in the mid
C19 (Fishwick). Partly handmade brick on a high plinth of watershot
sandstone, partly random rubble with quoins, and partly modern brick; tiled
roof, with stone gable copings which have obelisk finials. Rectangular
plan of approximately 3 bays. Two storeys; south gable of old brick has a
large blocked 4-light mullioned window with hoodmould on each
floor, the surrounds rendered; west side has 3 chamfered Tudor-arched
doorways, the first 2 coupled but of unequal height, and the 3rd altered as
a window, and above the middle door a square door; north gable has 3 linked
similar doorways at ground floor, (the first covered by tanks etc., the
centre blocked by a flight of steps at right angles to the wall), and a
door at the top of the steps with a window to the right of it. The east
side wall is mostly modern brick, but old brick at the north east corner
appears to have been linked with remains of similar masonry continuing to
the east under a lean-to shed. Interior not of special interest. History:
said to have been used as a chapel; in C16 and C17 was property of the
Helme family (John Helme, priest 1478; John Helme, curate in Goosnargh
1583); old house, dated 1589, taken down "a few years ago" (Fishwick
Goosnargh, 1871, p.184).

Listing NGR: SD5616836925

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.