This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1492 / 52°8'57"N
Longitude: 0.0973 / 0°5'50"E
OS Eastings: 543596
OS Northings: 252172
OS Grid: TL435521
Mapcode National: GBR L81.7FC
Mapcode Global: VHHKG.M7TS
Plus Code: 9F4243XW+MW
Entry Name: Church of St Edmund
Listing Date: 31 August 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164672
English Heritage Legacy ID: 51544
Location: Hauxton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB22
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Hauxton
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Hauxton St Edmund
Church of England Diocese: Ely
Tagged with: Church building
TL 4352 HAUXTON CHURCH ROAD
15/140 Church of St. Edmund
Parish church mainly early C12 with C15 addition and
alterations. Pebble, flint, clunch rubble and freestone
dressings with steeply pitched plain tile roofs. Plan of West
Tower, nave and chancel. West Tower, C15 on plinth with
embattled parapet and three-stage diagonal buttressing with
newel staircase in North West corner. West window of three
cinquefoil lights with vertical tracery in two-centred head.
Small single light window to first stage and two-centred arches
to bell chamber openings. Nave, c.1120 and originally with
North and South transepts, now blocked. Each corner of the nave
has an enlarged angle shaft of Barnack limestone. The South
doorway is also c.1120 in a round headed and roll moulded arch.
The attached columns have moulded bases and cushion capitals.
Frieze of chip carving, to the lintel over the doorway. One
small round headed window with similar ornament to the head and
later windows of clunch restored. The chancel has been
rendered, but similar materials visible. There are two restored
C15 window with low sides in the south wall and one c.1120 round
headed windows of one light to North and South walls. C15 East
wall replacing the apsed sanctuary of the original church. The
North wall of the nave has a C13 lancet with a restored pointed
head. Interior: The tower arch, late C14, of two wave moulded
arches, the inner on enlarged shafts with half octagonal
capitals and moulded early C12 nave has two opposing windows on
each side wall. The two at the East end have deep splays and
round headed rear arches, of early C12. At the West end, the
window on the North side is a restored C13 lancet and on the
south side an enlarged window opening probably of C14. There
are opposing North and South doorways of the early C12. The six
bay nave roof is C15 and of upper crown post construction. The
crown post is carried on a collar between the principal rafters
and has bracing to the collar purlin only. There are ashlar
pieces and arch bracing to the principal rafters and collars.
The collars are embattled and moulded and have rosette bosses to
the soffits. In the C14 transepts were added but these have now
been removed and the openings blocked. Part of the two centred
arches remain. The fine chancel arch is early C12, round headed
with two roll moulded arches on the west side. The responds
each have two semi-circular shafts with holdwater bases, cushion
capitals and square abacus. The East side has a single order of
roll moulding. One the North side of the chancel arch is an
early C13 side altar of clunch. Hollow and roll moulded orders
in two centred arch on corbels. On South side, another side
altar in an unmoulded two centred arch. The recess is painted
with a figure of St Thomas Becket and the reveals with scrolls.
The chancel is also early C12 and was originally apsed. North
and South walls have opposing early C12 windows and there is
later fenestration in the South wall, The font is late C12.
Tapering octagonal bowl on octagonal base and stem and four
subsidiary columns. There are ten C16 pews in the nave and a
good C15 pulpit. Hexagonal on original stem and base. The
panels are carved with blind tracery at the heads.
R.C.H.M.: record card
Pevsner: Buildings of England p. 405
V.C.H. (Cambs) 001 VIII p. 194
Listing NGR: TL4359652172
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings