History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old House

A Grade II Listed Building in Hauxton, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.1486 / 52°8'54"N

Longitude: 0.1057 / 0°6'20"E

OS Eastings: 544173

OS Northings: 252120

OS Grid: TL441521

Mapcode National: GBR L81.9JV

Mapcode Global: VHHKG.S888

Plus Code: 9F4244X4+C7

Entry Name: The Old House

Listing Date: 31 August 1962

Last Amended: 29 August 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1164811

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51548

Location: Hauxton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB22

County: Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Hauxton

Built-Up Area: Hauxton

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Hauxton St Edmund

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in


TL 45 SW
(North East Side)
4/143 No 31 (The Old House)
(formerly listed as The
31.8.62 Old House)
House, c.1500 with alterations of c.1600. Extended c.1950.
Timber frame, exposed, with rendered infill and steeply pitched,
plain tiled roof. Ridge stack of red brick with shafts set on
square base with moulded upper course. Plan formerly a parlour
crosswing to a hall, now demolished. Two storeys with gable end
to road jettied at first floor. The jetty brackets rise from
narrow pilasters with capitals, now mutilated. Close studding
and cranked downward bracing. Modern fenestration in gable end,
probably partly on site or original. Entry in c.1950 porch to
side. Interior: Plan of two bays, probably an unheated parlour
wing to a hall house. The first floor was open to the roof.
The chimney stack was inserted c.1600 into part of the second
part. The ceiling of the ground floor room is original and has
double cyma moulding to two main beams. The joists are laid
flat and are unmoulded. The inglenook hearth is of red brick
which is plastered over the bressumer and has an inscription of
c.1600 in black, Gothic lettering. The wall plate is stop
chamfered as is an intermediate post associated with the second
of the main beams carrying the ceiling of the ground floor
room. The tie beams are arch braced and the roof is of clasped
side purlin construction with cranked wind bracing.
R.C.H.M.: record card

Listing NGR: TL4417352120

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.