This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6056 / 50°36'20"N
Longitude: -3.5989 / 3°35'56"W
OS Eastings: 286951
OS Northings: 79649
OS Grid: SX869796
Mapcode National: GBR QR.1C08
Mapcode Global: FRA 37BG.RQB
Entry Name: Walls to the Garden of Culver House Including Gate Piers
Listing Date: 28 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164783
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85325
Location: Chudleigh, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13
Civil Parish: Chudleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Chudleigh St Martin and St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
CHUDLEIGH NEW EXETER STREET, Chudleigh
6/68 Walls to the garden of Culver House
- including -gate piers
Section of wall containing dipping place for drinking water and gate piers to the
drive of Culver House.
Local grey limestone rubble with dressed coping stones and ashlar gate-piers. Tall
stone wall with a round-headed niche for dipping place (disused).
Tall gate piers of square section with pyramidal caps. Larger inner gate piers have
deep chamfered inside corners, the chamfers have stops or moulded corbels at their
tops on which there are flat cap stones.
A system for bringing water to Chudleigh town from the lowest slopes of Haldon was in
existence at the end of the C16: both the supply system and the water known as 'Pot
In 1867 William Bower Scott presented a refinement of this system to the Parish to
improve the supply of water both for cooking and extinguishing fires.
The tall stone wall is an important feature of the New Exeter Street streetscape.
Listing NGR: SX8695179649
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings