This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4897 / 50°29'22"N
Longitude: -3.6451 / 3°38'42"W
OS Eastings: 283396
OS Northings: 66837
OS Grid: SX833668
Mapcode National: GBR QN.WR5H
Mapcode Global: FRA 377R.RQV
Plus Code: 9C2RF9Q3+VX
Entry Name: The Priory
Listing Date: 17 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164810
English Heritage Legacy ID: 84852
Location: Ipplepen, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ12
Civil Parish: Ipplepen
Built-Up Area: Ipplepen
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Ipplepen with Torbryan
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 8366 IPPLEPEN NORTH STREET (west side), Ipplepen
6/143 The Priory
Mid C19 probably remodelling of earlier house. Later C19 wing and C20 extension.
Stucco walls. Slate roof with decorative ridge tiles, gabled to right-end and
hipped to left end and front of wing. 3 stacks : rendered rubble stack at right-
hand gable end offset from ridge, similar lateral stack at rear and rendered brick
lateral stack at side of front wing.
Off-centre stairhall with 1 room on either side, the left-hand one considerably
larger. Contemporary wing at rear of right end room and shallow projecting wing to
front of left-hand end. Probably slightly later C19 wing at rear of left-hand end.
Single storey C20 extension along rear wall adjoining wing.
2 storeys. Asymmetrical 5-window facade plus 1-window projecting wing to left. On
first floor are mid C19 12-pane hornless sashes with similar tripartite windows on
ground floor which have hoodmoulds above. To right of centre is contemporary
panelled and glazed door with fluting in the lower panels and panelled reveals
either side. Later C19 open-fronted porch with elliptical head. Wing at front to
left has 1-window front with identical fenestration.
Interior inaccessible at time of survey but probably contains contemporary joinery.
This building is on the site of an Augustinian priory founded circa 1143, dependant
on the Abbey of St Pierre de Rille, near Fougeres. The Priory of Ipplepen is
mentioned is a Bishop's register of 1274.
Source: Devon Sites and Monuments Register.
Listing NGR: SX8339666837
Other nearby listed buildings