This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1442 / 52°8'38"N
Longitude: 0.1227 / 0°7'21"E
OS Eastings: 545345
OS Northings: 251664
OS Grid: TL453516
Mapcode National: GBR L82.FV3
Mapcode Global: VHHKH.2CPM
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 31 August 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164832
English Heritage Legacy ID: 51551
Location: Little Shelford, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB22
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Little Shelford
Built-Up Area: Little Shelford
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Little Shelford All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 4551 LITTLE SHELFORD CHURCH STREET
Church of All Saints
Parish church of C12 origins but much altered in C14 and C15 and
again in 1854 and 1878. Flint, pebblestone, clunch rubble and
dressed clunch and limestone with steeply pitched, tiled roofs.
Plan of west tower, nave, south chapel and chancel. C14 west
tower of three stages, embattled, with needle spine. Three
stage set-back buttressing. West window of two lights with
reticulated tracery in two centred head. Each side of first
stage has an original clunch surround to a cinquefoil window,
but the bell chamber openings are restorations. Nave wall,
south side has one window of three cinquefoil lights with
vertical tracery and another window of Ketton, restored C19.
The gabled south porch, 1878, is timbered and plain tiled but
the brick plinth incorporates a late Saxon cross-slab with plait
work. The south chapel is C15 of flint, pebblestone, clunch and
limestone but with brick repairs west wall. It is embattled and
has a typical double splayed plinth which also incorporates, in
west wall, parts of Saxon cross-slabs. The chancel was restored
in 1878, but on the north side is a lean-to north vestry, C15,
with an east window of clunch, and an early C18 north wall of
narrow gault brick. The north wall of the nave retains an early
C12 window above the blocked north doorway of the same period.
Interior: The roof is C19. There is an early-C18 tablet and a
number of late C18 or early C19 wall monuments on the north wall
of the nave which were placed there when the chancel arch was
rebuilt in 1854. In north wall of chancel are two recesses.
One is C13 and the other C14 with ogee arched head and crocketed
pinnacles and the effigy is possibly that of Sir John de
Freville, d.1308. The south chapel has two niches, C15, with
ogee arched heads with running foliate ornament and crocketed
pinnacles to the canopy above a 15 figure, of a saint, seated, of
alabaster on a figured bracket. The niche in the north east
corner is very mutilated with only part of the figured bracket
remaining. The pulpit, 1633, six sided with blank arches and
frieze with foliate ornament. C13 font of stone. Octagonal
bowl on octagonal principal column with four subsidiary,
octagonal columns. The south chapel contains wall monuments of
C18 and C19 to members of the Ingle family. _
Pevsner: Buildings of England p.429
R.C.H.M: record card
Listing NGR: TL4534551664
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings