History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old House

A Grade II Listed Building in Little Shelford, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1438 / 52°8'37"N

Longitude: 0.124 / 0°7'26"E

OS Eastings: 545438

OS Northings: 251632

OS Grid: TL454516

Mapcode National: GBR L82.G6G

Mapcode Global: VHHKH.3CDW

Entry Name: The Old House

Listing Date: 31 August 1962

Last Amended: 29 August 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1165010

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51577

Location: Little Shelford, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB22

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Little Shelford

Built-Up Area: Little Shelford

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Little Shelford All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Trumpington

Listing Text

TL 4551 LITTLE SHELFORD WHITTLESFORD ROAD

19/173
No.1 The Old House
31.8.62 (formerly listed as The Old
GV House)

II


House, formerly lodge, late C16, C18, late C19 and c.1928. Red
brick, painted, with timber-framing and plaster render. Steeply
pitched tiled roofs, with a half hipped roof to the west gable
end. Two side stacks to the north wall. Original plan of a
single range parallel to the road and forming the north
crosswing to an H-plan manor house of c.1600. Two storeys and
attic with part of band remainind between the storeys.
Elevation to the road has C19 hung sashes irregularly placed and
one gable end with a two storey canted bay. Entry from the road
in C19 porch. The gable end to the east has an oriel window and
the dates 1764 and 1858 in a panel above. Adjoining the house
is an early C18 wall with two piers of narrow red and yellow
brick with stone cornice and ball finails. Interior: Some of
the original timber-framing is visible in the east end at first
floor level. The centre ground floor room has intersecting main
beams, stop chamfered and another room with an early C18 niche
with rusticated surround, and a moulded cornice and part of an
overmantel. The raised and fielded panelling probably from this
room forms a partition wall in a bedroom. Another bedroom has
early C17 panelling below dado height. The house was the north
wing of Old Shelford House, the home of the Wale family since
c.1700. In c.1880 a new house was built to the south, (burnt
down 1928) and this building became the lodge. A model of the
original house is in the Cambridge and County Folk Museum,
Castle Hill, Cambridge. Thomas Babington Macaulay, the
historian, was at school here from 1813-15 and refers to an
attic room, possibly that in the west gable end, in his
correspondence.


Listing NGR: TL4543851632

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.