History in Structure

Church of St Peter and St Paul

A Grade I Listed Building in Algarkirk, Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.8996 / 52°53'58"N

Longitude: -0.0818 / 0°4'54"W

OS Eastings: 529124

OS Northings: 335290

OS Grid: TF291352

Mapcode National: GBR JXC.B4H

Mapcode Global: WHHM2.QC7Z

Plus Code: 9C4XVWX9+R7

Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Listing Date: 26 January 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1164857

English Heritage Legacy ID: 192054

ID on this website: 101164857

Location: St Peter and St Paul's Church, Algarkirk, Boston, Lincolnshire, PE20

County: Lincolnshire

District: Boston

Civil Parish: Algarkirk

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Algarkirk St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


(west side)

8/1 Church of St. Peter
and St. Paul

Parish church. Late C12, early C13, C14, late C15, restored by
R. C. Carpenter, 1850-4. Ashlar, lead roofs. Clerestoried nave,
aisles, crossing tower, clerestoried transepts with west aisles,
chancel, south and north porches, vestry. C14 Decorated west
window of 6 lights with curvilinear tracery, flanked by single 3
light C14 aisle windows with ogee heads to the lights and
triangular heads. Built between the buttresses a small C19
store. Battlemented north aisle with 3 three light C14 windows
as the west end and a pointed doorway with hood mould. North
transept west aisle with single 3 light C14 cusped ogee window.
Battlemented clerestory of late C15 with 5 pairs of 3 light panel
traceried windows. Clerestoried north transept with 3 windows to
either side. Transept has tall north window of 6 lights with
curvilinear tracery. East wall of transept has C13 lancet and
short section of late C12 looped corbel table beneath the
clerestorey. Central tower with C13 form paired belfry lights
with mid wall shafts, plate tracery with mandorlas and chamfered
pointed surrounds. Embattled parapet with short leaded C19 set
back spire. Fine lead rainwater heads dated 1650. Vestry in
angle between transept and chancel has a single 2 light window
and pointed doorway. North wall of chancel has 3 C19 2 light
windows with cusped ogee tracery. 5 light C19 east window with
curvilinear tracery. South side of chancel matches the north
with a C14 lancet having cusped ogee head. South transept has
blocked window to east and 2 clerestorey lights. The south
window is of 7 lights with memorable cusped flowing tracery,
replete with daggers, mouchettes and quatrefoils all of the
finest. South chapel and aisle have 3 light cusped ogee headed
windows, one to the chapel and 3 to the aisle. The clerestorey
matches that to the north and has dated rainwater hoppers of
1805. Gabled C19 south porch with round headed outer arch with
triple shafted reveals. Recut C13 inner arch with roll moulded
hood and chamfered head. Interior. The narrow nave has early
C13 5 bay arcades with circular piers, octagonal capitals some
hobnailed, some stiff leaf, and double chamfered pointed arches.
Early C13 crossing arch with engaged triple keeled shafts, stiff
leaf and waterleaf capitals, and 2 stepped moulded orders. North
transept has 2 facetted double chamfered round arches to the west
on circular shafts with octagonal and late C12 waterleaf
capitals. Double chamfered round arch on east side on circular
respond to south and figured corbel to north. The C13 lancet has
shafted reveals with stiff leaf capitals. The west wall of the
south transept matches that to the north. C14 crocketed piscina
on south wall. C14 chancel has ballflower frieze and elaborate
painted C19 roof. The ornate reredos by Crace is gilded and
painted and flanked by 2 ogee headed and crocketed niches. In
the south wall a double pointed C14 piscina and sedilia with
segmental heads. Chancel walls are painted with stencil
decoration. Tiled floor to sanctuary. Fittings. C19 stained
glass to chancel, west window aisles and transepts, by Clayton
and Bell, and Hardman. C13 Purbeck marble octagonal font on free
standing circular shafts. Manuments. 2 C14 relief effigies in
north transept, a civilian and a priest, under a nodding ogee
canopy, and a large urn on square base, to Charles Beridge,
lawyer d.1782. Marble wall plaque with obelisk to the Skerritt
family, 1799. In the south transept 2 late C18 marble wall
plaques to members of the Beridge family with urns and further
marble wall plaque of 1792. In the south chapel a brass of 1678
to Basil Beridge, Rector and Patron, and above a further marble
wall plaque to Charles Beridge d.1778. The Beridges were lords
of the manor and rectors at Algarkirk for about 300 years until
late Cl9.

Listing NGR: TF2912735290

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.