We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8997 / 52°53'58"N
Longitude: -0.0907 / 0°5'26"W
OS Eastings: 528522
OS Northings: 335292
OS Grid: TF285352
Mapcode National: GBR JXC.7WG
Mapcode Global: WHHM2.LC0V
Plus Code: 9C4XVWX5+VP
Entry Name: Sutterton War Memorial
Listing Date: 9 March 2018
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1454311
ID on this website: 101454311
Location: Sutterton, Boston, Lincolnshire, PE20
Civil Parish: Sutterton
Built-Up Area: Sutterton
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Tagged with: War memorial
First World War memorial, 7 August 1920, with Second World War additions.
First World War memorial, 1920, with Second World War additions.
DESCRIPTION: Sutterton War Memorial is located in Sutterton Cemetery at the western end of the main path through the cemetery from Station Road.
It takes the form of a tall, white granite pillar with a two-tiered pyramidal top surmounting a square capital with a deeply moulded cornice underneath. The pillar terminates in a moulded, square block foot upon a chamfered, square base. The inscriptions and names are in incised lettering, painted gold, to arched panels of red Aberdeen granite affixed to the pillar.
The principal inscription is to the east face of the pillar and reads ERECTED BY THE/ SUTTERTON PARISHIONERS./ "TO THE GLORY OF GOD"/ AND IN LOVING MEMORY OF/ OUR BOYS,/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR/ KING AND COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918./ GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN/ THAN THIS THAT A MAN LAY/ DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS/ FRIENDS." The names of the 34 men who died in the conflict are recorded on the north and south faces of the pillar.
The Second World War dedication is to the west face of the pillar and reads SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF/ PARISHIONERS/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE/ SECOND WORLD WAR/ 1939-1945/ (12 NAMES).
Blank red granite panels are also fixed to the faces of the foot of the pillar.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Sutterton as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The war memorial was unveiled on 7 August 1920 by Mr G H Barber, chairman of the local war memorial committee, with the dedication undertaken by the parish curate, Reverend H H Andrew. It was constructed by Messrs J Atton and Sons of Spalding at a cost of £128, which was raised by public subscription. The memorial commemorates the 34 local servicemen who died in the First World War.
Following the Second World War, a dedication and the names of the 12 local servicemen who died in that conflict were added to the memorial.
Sutterton War Memorial, which is situated in Sutterton Cemetery, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.
* a well-executed memorial which takes the form of a pillar.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings