This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4992 / 50°29'57"N
Longitude: -3.583 / 3°34'58"W
OS Eastings: 287828
OS Northings: 67794
OS Grid: SX878677
Mapcode National: GBR QS.FWNJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 37CQ.ZYN
Plus Code: 9C2RFCX8+MR
Entry Name: Rose Hill House
Listing Date: 23 August 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164989
English Heritage Legacy ID: 84892
Location: Kingskerswell, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ12
Civil Parish: Kingskerswell
Built-Up Area: Kingskerswell
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Kingskerswell St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 86 NE KINGSKERSWELL ROSE HILL,
3/181 Rose Hill House
House. Circa 1830-40 with later C19 addition. Stucco walls with shallow pitched
hipped slate roof, gabled bays on each side with wide overhanding eaves and exposed
rafter end. 3 rendered brick stacks:- one at left-hand gable end, one lateral to
front of right-hand side and one lateral at rear of right-hand side.
Double depth plan with central entrance hall leading to large stairwell at rear on
left-hand side; 2 large heated rooms to the right-hand side on the principal front
facing garden and view, rear one possibly kitchen; smaller heated room to the left
at the front. Probably slightly later C19 addition at left-hand end housing service
2 storeys with attic. Asymmetrical 3-bay 2-window front with central gabled bay
slightly projecting and forming entrance porch. Original 12-pane hornless sashes
to left of porch. Porch has segmental arched opening with projecting Keystone,
above is contemporary roundheaded sash window. Original 6-panelled door divided
from narrow side panels by reeded architrave. Rectangular fanlight. A wide band
below the first floor windows extends all the way around the house. The garden
front to the right-hand side is symmetrical and has a wide slightly projecting
pedimental gable at the centre with 3 original 12-pane sash windows on first floor
which have Venetian shutters and decorative hoods above, also likely to be original.
On second floor at centre is contemporary Diocletian window. The 2 ground floor
windows to left and right are roundheaded in blind architraves, also with shutters.
Lower blocked opening at their centre. Rear facade is repeat of entrance front
without porch. At the left-hand end of the house is a lower, slightly later C19
addition. Extending from it to the left is a high rubble courtyard wall with
carriage opening at left-hand end which has dressed stone segmental arch.
Interior: the original open well staircase survives with stick balusters and
curtail step, it continues for 2 storeys with a balustraded landing on each floor.
Original panelled shutters survive in the principal rooms. Possibly original doors,
faced at present with chipwood.
This house is a good quality example of its period which preserves its original
staircase and internal plan with a very unaltered exterior. Due to its prominent
elevated site it is visible from various parts of the town.
Listing NGR: SX8782867794
Other nearby listed buildings