This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6092 / 50°36'33"N
Longitude: -4.1891 / 4°11'20"W
OS Eastings: 245204
OS Northings: 81117
OS Grid: SX452811
Mapcode National: GBR NT.BXH9
Mapcode Global: FRA 273G.9V7
Entry Name: Farmbuildings Forming the Farmyard to the North of Week Farmhouse
Listing Date: 7 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165002
English Heritage Legacy ID: 92455
Location: Milton Abbot, West Devon, Devon, PL19
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Milton Abbot
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 48 SE MILTON ABBOT
7/213 Farmbuildings forming the farmyard
- to the north of Week farmhouse
Farmbuildings forming the farmyard to the north of Week farmhouse. Probably 1865
(datestone on Week Cottage) and built for the Duke of Bedford. Stone rubble with
greenstone dressings and slate roofs gabled at ends. A complete planned farmyard
organised round a central dunghouse. The power source is an overshot water wheel.
The west range consists of a shippon with 5 entrances under cut stone arches with a
cartshed adjoining at the south end with 4 entrances between ashlar stone piers. The
north range consists of a single-storey calf-house with a gable end entrance and
ventilation slits on the sides adjoining a 2-storey building containing a threshing
barn with loft over and a rear granary adjacent to the water wheel. The east range
is probably a fattening house with lofts over and is built into the slope of the land
to allow direct entrance to the lofts at the rear. The south range consists of a
small single-storey block with a small yard in front, said to have been used for
housing dogs, and a larger single-storey building, also with a walled yard. In the
centre of the yard is a dung house with a roof hipped at ends and, linked to the east
range by a covered roof, a fattening shed with a roof hipped at ends. The leat is
carried to the wheel in a timber trough carried on brick piers. The farmyard is very
complete with a number of characteristic Bedford Estate features including a timber
lining to most of the slate roofs. Week is the most complete C19 Bedford Estate
farmyard in the parish.
The 7th Duke of Bedford was a "devoted improver" (Spring) of the farms on the
Tavistock Estate and his policies and practices are described in David Spring, The
English Landed Estate in the Nineteenth Century (1963).
Listing NGR: SX4520481117
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings